Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 08/19/19 17:08

auggie

VMWARE macOS Sierra

I'm having no joy trying to get it run in VMWARE macOS Sierra on an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 system. Am I just out of luck?

#2 08/19/19 19:08

Iritscen

Re: VMWARE macOS Sierra

Maybe help us out with why you're trying to do this? smile  Are you in Windows but only have the Mac version of the game?  I haven't tried a Mac VM with Oni because I'm already on a Mac, but I have run Oni in a Windows VM in VMware Fusion and gotten good performance.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 08/20/19 00:08

auggie

Yes I have the Mac OS 9 retail CD and am running macOS Sierra in VMware on a Windows 10 pc with a Ryzen 5 2600 CPU and RX 580 graphics card.

I have Anniversary Edition installed and setup. but when I try to run the Oni that gets installed (I believe it is 1.2.1) I get nothing. Console error message says illegal instruction. I don’t get anything else except for an error msg that says Oni quit unexpectedly.

Not sure what I am supposed to be doing or if this should even work on my system so any help would be appreciated. I’d love to play it again. I never finished the game so I have unfinished business.

I tried running Sheepshaver too. The intro would play but the game wouldn’t play because the emulator didn’t support OpenGL. So this is my next hope to play Oni again.

#4 08/20/19 04:08

s10k
Website

Does the latest VMWARE in windows support 3d graphics for macOS? To be honest I would love to get Oni to run in a macOS VM in windows, that way I could test the mac version of my custom level myself.

Last edited by s10k (08/20/19 04:08)

#5 08/20/19 14:08

auggie

I don't know but the 3D graphics checkbox is greyed out in the VM settings.

In the Apple device settings it says 128MB VRAM for graphics/display. It's displaying full size on ultrawide monitor (actually only 3160x1322 rather than 3440x1440)

Regarding graphics support, I found this Reddit discussion which suggests not. I can't post the link here but my search terms were "vmware macos 3d graphics support" and the title is "I am running High Sierra on VMware Workstation."

Will the AE version of Oni run on a real Mac running Sierra? If so I could install Sierra on my machine. Granted it won't be a real Mac but at least it would be outside of VMWARE. But if that doesn't work either I do have one last resort option and that is to bring out our iMac G3 computer out of storage which runs OS 9 natively.

#6 08/20/19 17:08

Iritscen

Yes, the AE runs on Sierra.  Technically the AE is a collection of mods, a mod installer, and patches to keep Oni compatible with new computers; on Macs, the "patch" is a new build of the Oni application for Intel Macs.  So you don't need to go through all the trouble of installing the AE if you just want to play vanilla Oni.  You only need to download the Intel application, which is here: https://wiki.oni2.net/AE:FERAL

However, I don't think that's your problem, as it sounds like Oni v1.2.1 was installed successfully.  I don't know what would cause an illegal instruction error, but it probably is a 3D support issue.  While Mac VMware Fusion supports Direct3D, apparently Windows VMware Fusion does not have hardware support for Apple's OpenGL implementation.  Oni itself does unfortunately require hardware support and will not render in software.

I don't know if a Hackintosh will be more successful since I've heard mixed reports of how well they work.  You might want to bring the G3 out of storage, though you won't get the best performance from a Mac contemporary to Oni, as I recall them rarely hitting 30fps at the time the game came out.

A final option is to convert Oni's game data to the format used by Windows Oni and then play it with Oni.exe in Windows.  I wrote a script that converts the Windows game data to Mac format, but not the reverse.  If you have experience writing Batch scripts, though, you could port the basic process in my .sh script to a .bat script.

#7 08/20/19 19:08

auggie

I'd be happy to run it in Windows 10. If you can tell me what to do, I'll give it a go. I used to develop in C and shell scripts, but that was a different lifetime ago.

Where do I download the Windows version of Oni?

#8 08/20/19 19:08

auggie

Okay, I found a Windows version at myabandonware. I installed it and it played the intro but crashed after that. I didn't install the OpenGL version 117 that came with it as it is only supported by Windows 95 & 98.

Will your mods let me play this Oni.exe on my PC or is there another Oni executable for Windows somewhere?

Thanks for your help.

#9 08/25/19 22:08

auggie

Update - I arrived at two solutions, neither involving VMWare and macOS Sierra.

#1 - I dragged the old iMac G3 out of storage and what do you know, it booted up! I can play Oni in its original OS 9 glory. I also had it running in OSX Jaguar, but after the initial boot, it won't boot up in OSX anymore. Something wrong with the boot partition. Oh well.

#2 - Windows 10 with Oni and AE. I had problems with the dreaded mouse lag but fixed it with setting the v sync. For those with AMD graphics cards, run AMD Radeon Settings and set Wait for Vertical Refresh to Always On for the game. MSI Afterburner reports 60fps whereas when it was running unhindered, it was +400fps. Now it plays perfectly in 3440x1440 resolution.

Anyway, hope that helps anyone else that may be trying to play this awesome game on modern hardware and OS.

#10 08/26/19 06:08

Iritscen

Sorry, somehow I missed your posts of the 20th.  Glad you got it working though!

#11 08/26/19 16:08

auggie

No worries. Just happy to be playing Oni again. Thanks.

Board footer