Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 03/28/15 00:03

GlenP

Sci-fi novel with heroine, Ia, not quite Oni caliber, but close.

In the "you might also like" category, I recently found a four book trilogy in my library, Theirs Not To Reason Why series by Jean Johnson, A soldiers duty, an officers duty, hellfire, damnation.  Heroine of the story has some precognition abilities and foresees a total destruction of the universe by an alien race, but can also foresee how the streams of time can be changed, so she starts her military career and works her way through the ranks to ultimately lead the fight where most effective on far reaching planets and in space.  a pretty interesting series, not quite the same as the Oni story, but one that has a strong and determined heroine, Ia.  Fans of Oni might appreciate it.

I have not played much of the HALO games, but have enjoyed reading all the novelizations, as well as the books from the Warcraft universe.  I just don't have as much time to play the games these days, but find reading about them sort of a substitute.

#2 03/28/15 08:03

Iritscen

Re: Sci-fi novel with heroine, Ia, not quite Oni caliber, but close.

Hmm, interesting premise.  It does remind me a bit of Oni and some of the community's ideas for Oni 2.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 03/28/15 16:03

GlenP

Re: Sci-fi novel with heroine, Ia, not quite Oni caliber, but close.

I forgot, it is a 5 book trilogy: soldiers duty, officers duty, hellfire, hardship, damnation, here they are in Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/bookseries/B00 … 1937007693

Because her precognition skills are useful not only in military strategy but also in close quarters combat, and she is a "heavyworlder" growing up with more than 2G having extra strength on more typical 1G planets, and often there are explosive weapons involved, from her initial deployment in live combat situations she develops the nickname "Bloody Mary" as she tends to get covered in the remains and goo of her enemies.  In subsequent battles she continues to live up to the name.   Here is the cover art, trying to embed the images, hope this works.

51ICSWA7vXL.jpg
519lyv7bYFL.jpg
51xvgYCoS2L.jpg
81l3I%2BsABuL.jpg
51xdrPFWVhL.jpg

Board footer