Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 03/16/20 17:03

Garogus Qi-Kasra

i cannot access to the options on Mac

Hello there,

i recently downloaded Oni on my Macbook Pro Mojave, i am a long time fan of this game, i was able to play it on a old macbook for a long time,
on both computers i am and was using the 1.2.1 anniversary version of the game and on both i had the same problems, like when i click on the "Options" button on the menu, it just do absolutely nothing, so i couldn't access to it, which is painful because i cannot change the gamma (which is really high by default) and the difficulty (which is too easy for me now) so i'm asking myself if there is a way to unlock it or change the gamma and the difficulty manually, and maybe the Mouse sensitivity too, apart from that, for now the game runs perfectly well,

on my old macbook i could change the options only in the original mac version of the game, but this version was unplayable because the mouse blocks when you try to turn around, and of course i cannot play this version anymore on my new macbook, so i have no options at all

anyway, thanks in advance, this community is awesome

edit: oh and also another minor problem, the game doesn't show all the letters ingame, there's a lot of letters, words, sentence that doesn't show up, maybe because the game is in french, i don't know, but i can deal with it, it's just that i cannot read the terminals, that was also a problem that i had on both of my computers

Last edited by Garogus Qi-Kasra (03/16/20 17:03)

don't frog blast the vent core

#2 03/16/20 18:03

Iritscen

Re: i cannot access to the options on Mac

That's surprising, I've never heard of this issue before.  Do you have any of the mods installed?  And is the Options button grayed out, or it looks enabled?  Do you try clicking it before starting/loading a game, or while the game is running (by hitting Esc to return to the Main Menu)?

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 03/16/20 18:03

Garogus Qi-Kasra

no, i have no mods, the button is blue like the others,
and yes i tried in launch and ingame, it just doesn't work

Last edited by Garogus Qi-Kasra (03/17/20 14:03)

#4 03/16/20 23:03

Iritscen

Just to try something different, can you copy the Oni.app that's in the AE/ folder to the main Oni/ folder, and run it from there?  This will allow you to run vanilla (unmodified) Oni with the 1.2.1 app.

#5 03/17/20 01:03

Garogus Qi-Kasra

i did it, but now the game is crashing after the intro, intro that i couldn't see on the other version

#6 03/17/20 07:03

Iritscen

I see.  I think the intro movie must be disabled (left out of GameDataFolder) in the AE and that's why you didn't see it before.  Not sure if the crash has to do with that, but you can remove intro.mov from Oni/GameDataFolder/ and try running Oni.app from the Oni/ folder again to see if it still crashes.

#7 03/17/20 08:03

Garogus Qi-Kasra

now the game works just like 1.2.1, no options, words missing, etc

Last edited by Garogus Qi-Kasra (03/17/20 14:03)

#8 03/17/20 08:03

Iritscen

This is very odd.  I'll think about the problem some more, but in the meantime, here are other options for setting, uh, the options:

Gamma: Run Oni in windowed mode instead of full-screen, and it will have to use the existing gamma of your monitor.  The AE Installer has a button for this, but Oni should also present a launch dialog to you that offers this option (if you told it to go away, then hold down Option or Command when launching Oni to make it appear) — or you can put "-noswitch" in launch_args.txt to do this.

Mouse speed: You can't change this within Options anyway, but the Mac Oni app supports the BSL command "mouse_acceleration", which can be set from 0.1 to 1.0 in the developer console or in a BSL script.  See here, but let me know if you want help with this: https://wiki.oni2.net/Developer_Mode

Difficulty: This one is the trickiest problem right now.  Our old tools for editing Oni's preference file on Mac no longer work.  You would have to edit the BSL files for a level manually to get it to recognize that you want a higher difficulty (search for the word "difficulty" and you'll find the variable that the scripts use to set up a level according to your desired difficulty level, but "difficulty" can't be changed, only read, so you would have to change the logic to assume that the difficulty was at a certain level).

Hopefully we will have a new tool soon for editing Oni's preferences and you won't need the above workarounds.  Your language issue is one that we don't currently have a fix for, unfortunately.  The Intel Mac build does not support non-Latin characters, so it causes strings to terminate early in non-English versions of the game.  It's something that we are looking into, but I can't give an estimate of when we might be able to patch that.

#9 03/17/20 10:03

Garogus Qi-Kasra

alright, and thanks you for all that you did for this awesome game and community,

P.S. it seems that i've made a mistake about the anniversary edition, i've made a confusion between the anniversary edition and Oni 1.2.1,
i thought all this time that Oni 1.2.1 was what the community called Oni anniversary edition, i never played it, my apologies about that,
and again thank you

#10 03/17/20 10:03

Iritscen

It's okay, I knew what you meant smile

Board footer