Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 10/08/19 06:10

Iritscen

Warning to Mac users thinking about 10.15 Catalina

As many of you are probably aware, macOS 10.15 Catalina removes support for 32-bit apps.  Oni is of course a 32-bit application, so you won't be able to play the game once you update your system.  You should consider setting up a separate boot drive that still runs 10.14 or earlier.  A cheap external HDD is all you need.

Another option, if you own a copy of Oni for Windows and have a Windows partition, is to play Oni there instead, since Windows 10 retains 32-bit support for the time being.  I also get good performance running Windows Oni in a Windows 10 guest VM using VMware Fusion for macOS, which is able to employ 3D acceleration.  However I have not tested Fusion in 10.15, let alone tried to run a 32-bit app inside of Fusion while running 10.15.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#2 10/09/19 09:10

Aiko

Re: Warning to Mac users thinking about 10.15 Catalina

I saw the call to  upgrade to Catalina this morning and got a warning notice that Oni, along with a few other programs, will NOT work after installation. I opted to not install. I don't post here like I used to but I still play every day. How can I simply stop playing something that I love to do?  I would buy the external HDD but would need some guidance as to how to set that up to get it to work. I have an external drive right now which is the Seagate Expansion 3TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0. I use that with Time Machine to back up regularly. I'm fine with buying an additional drive but just remain unsure as to what to do next.

In the interim, I will not be upgrading.  I am so glad you posted this. I can't go cold turkey! What, whom, how will I blow up things? The innocent begging for their lives, their wives and children? Stupid scientists walking into a battle then crying "I just want to live!"  I can't live without that, ya know?

Thanks. I'll be back.  smile  - AIKO (Linda)

Aiko

#3 10/09/19 09:10

Aiko

Oh - look! I don't remember using that Avatar! But that's me with Paco. An old photo and he is long gone.  sad

Aiko

#4 10/09/19 12:10

Iritscen

Hey Aiko, long time no see!  Sorry to hear that Paco is no longer with you.

You won't be able to use your Time Machine backup drive for booting from 10.14 because the TM drive already has its own copy of your bootable system that you can restore from if needed, and that has to stay in sync with the current state of your system, so Apple prefers that people don't use that drive for anything else.

You'll want to use a separate drive -- anything with 40GB or more should be fine, so basically any USB HDD sold today.  Then you should install 10.14 Mojave on it.  You have to use a third-party patch tool to download the full Mojave installer, as explained here: http://osxdaily.com/2018/09/29/download … installer/ (you can quit the patch tool after it downloads the installer).

When you run a macOS installer, it will give you an option to choose the target drive for the installation, so then you'll point it to the HDD you have plugged in.  It should install a clean new copy of 10.14 on it.  You can then restart the Mac and hold down Option any time you want to pick which drive to start up from (or you can change the setting in System Preferences>Startup Disk).

I know it'll be a while before I upgrade to 10.15 myself, since I am tied to some 32-bit apps for now.

#5 10/09/19 17:10

Aiko

Thank you so much for this response.  Is there any chance that I can run an old version of iTunes through this drive as well?  Apple stopped supporting my iPod shuffle somewhere in 2017 and I went ballistic over that.

I understand your directions. I just need to buy a drive and get this set up before upgrading. 

I lost Aiko in 2009 (10 years already) and Paco 2 years later. I've been iguana-free since and really miss having them to snuggle with.

Aiko

#6 10/09/19 18:10

tuqqer

Well, dang. Oni is no more, now that I've upgraded to Catalina. Loved that game. Played it weekly since it came out, even on 10.14.

I'll check back here periodically to see if someone ever figures out a simple hack to play on 10.15.

RIP.

#7 10/09/19 18:10

Iritscen

The hack is to install pre-10.15 macOS on an external HD :-)  Catalina and later will never be able to run a 32-bit app.

Aiko: iTunes is bundled with every macOS installation, so if you want an earlier version of iTunes you should probably install a macOS version earlier than 10.14.  10.13 High Sierra came out in 2017, so maybe you want 10.12 Sierra from 2016.  I found Apple's official download link for Sierra after some hunting: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-s … ls=1&mt=12 .  That should open a page in your App Store in 10.14 Mojave which allows you to download the 10.12 installer.

As a general note to all Mac users, I highly recommend downloading and keeping the installer for each major macOS release when it first comes out.  You can store them all on some external HDD just in case you need them in the future.  Apple generally doesn't want people downloading old versions of the OS, so over time they become harder and harder to find from legitimate sources.

Board footer