Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 03/31/16 07:03

Darquesse

Preserving the future of Oni

CD drives. Who needs them? GTA V uses enough space on the hard drive to fit nearly 100 CDs. Soon enough, PCs will come with additional HDDs and SDDs instead of CD drives, and the average person will not be able to install and play Oni.

Have there been any attempts to make Oni available online as a download?

I understand that it's not on Steam, and if it's not on Steam, it probably never will be, but what about making it available on GOG?

And finally... Rockstar made some of its older titles (GTA, GTA 2) available for free through its own website (search Rockstar Classics) however, this scheme has been cancelled for now. But it does show that Rockstar is at least somewhat willing to give its older titles away for free.

So, should we contact them and ask them to make Oni downloadable at least on some legitimate website?

Last edited by Darquesse (03/31/16 07:03)

I think Oni is a pretty cool girl. She kills syndicate and doesn't afraid of anything.

#2 03/31/16 08:03

TOCS

Re: Preserving the future of Oni

Darquesse wrote:

CD drives. Who needs them? GTA V uses enough space on the hard drive to fit nearly 100 CDs. Soon enough, PCs will come with additional HDDs and SDDs instead of CD drives, and the average person will not be able to install and play Oni.

Have there been any attempts to make Oni available online as a download?

I understand that it's not on Steam, and if it's not on Steam, it probably never will be, but what about making it available on GOG?

And finally... Rockstar made some of its older titles (GTA, GTA 2) available for free through its own website (search Rockstar Classics) however, this scheme has been cancelled for now. But it does show that Rockstar is at least somewhat willing to give its older titles away for free.

So, should we contact them and ask them to make Oni downloadable at least on some legitimate website?

This would be cool to have available on an online platform, but it does pose some pretty significant problems. The game doesn't work natively on newer machines without mods installed. Something like Steam integration requires work too. In general, on top of convincing the publisher to get this game out there, you'd need to find an actual development team willing to do this. Every game that's submitted to Steam needs to go through some verification by Valve (albeit, there're still horrendous, non-functional games being published from time to time), and there're probably quite a few criteria that need to be met.

I don't know how this entire process would work, but it's still a great idea. I'll gladly sign any petition to get the game more exposed, if needed. wink

#3 05/19/16 04:05

LaughingSkull

Darquesse, did you use to be on WCR forums? Your name is vaguely familiar...

#4 08/21/17 09:08

s10k
Website

Just found this guys:
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/oni

Look at all those people looking for the game.

Last edited by s10k (08/21/17 09:08)

#5 08/22/17 14:08

paradox-01

Doesn't seem that many compared to Beyond good and evil 2 hmm

#6 08/22/17 16:08

Iritscen

BG&E2 is a game that hasn't been made, though it is in the works now (but judging from the trailer for BG&E2, a lot of fans might wish it never *was* made).  That wishlist is for people to ask for a classic game to be added on GOG.  If you look at the complete list, you'll see that Oni is ranked between #40 and #50 of the most-wanted games of all time.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#7 08/22/17 17:08

paradox-01

Statistics meh. I still think 8000 votes (people) aren't enough...

#8 10/07/17 15:10

Falkerz

I mean, yeah, it'd be nice to go through official channels for this. However, for the meantime, perhaps finding an alternate source might be best? It's fairly easy to find, and if you need a hand I'm sure someone can lend a hand.

#9 10/07/17 15:10

Falkerz

I suppose my musings on the official website for Oni can go here as well, seeing as it's based on the subject of preserving the future of Oni.

I've been wasting the past couple of days trying to crawl the complete Oni website ( rockstargames(dot)com/oni ) and finally managed to get the audio stream in my package as well. Suffice to say, it's a Flash heavy website, and does not like being crawled. However, I think I've got the website sorted as for a backup. The problem now is trying to get the zip files that it links to (things like the trailer, extra movies etc). I've just about worked out the images that it has (which are for some reason delivered as html docs) and grabbed them, but I haven't got them working natively yet.

If anyone has copies of the videos that were linked, it'd be great to add those to the archive. I'd probably need to rewrite portions of the flash elements to make it work, but it'd be nice to have a complete backup.

#10 10/07/17 16:10

Iritscen

Hmm, it's hard to recognize those movies from their thumbnails.  I don't seem to have any movie files on my HD that could have been those.  It's a shame that the site isn't backed up by the Internet Archive.

#11 10/07/17 18:10

Falkerz

Iritscen wrote:

Hmm, it's hard to recognize those movies from their thumbnails.  I don't seem to have any movie files on my HD that could have been those.  It's a shame that the site isn't backed up by the Internet Archive.

The even bigger shame is that the files were hosted on T2's website, and the Rockstar site doesn't allow WBM to crawl it.

#12 10/07/17 19:10

Iritscen

Oh, I didn't catch that.  That explains why part of the site is offline.  T2 must have done some server housecleaning a while ago, whereas Rockstar probably doesn't even know this site is still being hosted.

#13 11/04/17 10:11

Iritscen

I wonder if this guy would be able to retrieve all of the Oni web site: https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti … e-internet

Board footer