Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 01/11/17 13:01

Slayer

Oni Crashes on Startup OS X Mavericks 10.9.5

Hey guys. I have been trying to run Oni on my mac running Mavericks for a while now and i can't seem to figure out how to make it run properly. The settings window comes up, then disappears immediately after hitting play. I have tried absolutely everything in this thread as far as i know seeing as the user had a similar problem.

My debug log looks like this

Error 301 reported from File: /tmp/OniSourceCode/Godgames/Oni/BungieSource/BungieFrameWork/BFW_Source/BFW_FileManager/BFW_FileManager_Common.c, Line: 211 (message follows)

Error 301 reported from File: /tmp/OniSourceCode/Godgames/Oni/BungieSource/BungieFrameWork/BFW_Source/BFW_TemplateManager/BFW_TM_Common.c, Line: 705 (message follows)

level 0: Can't find sep file
Error 301 reported from File: /tmp/OniSourceCode/Godgames/Oni/BungieSource/BungieFrameWork/BFW_Source/BFW_FileManager/BFW_FileManager_Common.c, Line: 211 (message follows)

Error 301 reported from File: /tmp/OniSourceCode/Godgames/Oni/BungieSource/BungieFrameWork/BFW_Source/BFW_TemplateManager/BFW_TM_Common.c, Line: 705 (message follows)

level 10: Can't find sep file

level 11: Can't find sep file

level 12: Can't find sep file

level 13: Can't find sep file

level 14: Can't find sep file

level 18: Can't find sep file

level 19: Can't find sep file

level 1: Can't find sep file

level 2: Can't find sep file

level 3: Can't find sep file

level 4: Can't find sep file

level 6: Can't find sep file

level 8: Can't find sep file

level 9: Can't find sep file
Error 1 reported from File: /tmp/OniSourceCode/Godgames/Oni/BungieSource/BungieFrameWork/BFW_Source/BFW_TemplateManager/BFW_TM_Game.c, Line: 2599 (message follows)

Error 1 reported from File: /tmp/OniSourceCode/Godgames/Oni/BungieSource/OniProj/OniGameSource/Oni_Level.c, Line: 404 (message follows)

Error 1 reported from File: /tmp/OniSourceCode/Godgames/Oni/BungieSource/OniProj/OniGameSource/Oni.c, Line: 1110 (message follows)

This is the startup log

Begin initializing Oni v1.2.1.
Oni is in Shipping Mode with Developer Mode enabled.
Looking for the game data folder.
initializing template manager...
DataFolder = GameDataFolder
Created a file iterator for the data folder.
Got Level Info for level0_Final.dat.
Invalid Level level0_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level10_Final.dat.
Invalid Level level10_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level11_Final.dat.
Invalid Level level11_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level12_Final.dat.
Invalid Level level12_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level13_Final.dat.
Invalid Level level13_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level14_Final.dat.
Invalid Level level14_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level18_Final.dat.
Invalid Level level18_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level19_Final.dat.
Invalid Level level19_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level1_Final.dat.
Invalid Level level1_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level2_Final.dat.
Invalid Level level2_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level3_Final.dat.
Invalid Level level3_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level4_Final.dat.
Invalid Level level4_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level6_Final.dat.
Invalid Level level6_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level8_Final.dat.
Invalid Level level8_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level9_Final.dat.
Invalid Level level9_Final.dat
calling TMrRegisterTemplates
calling ONrRegisterTemplates
initializing oni platform-specific code...
initializing sound system 2, basic level...
initializing basic sound system 2 layer...
initializing oni persistance...
initializing scripting...
initializing binary data system...
initializing imaging...
initializing image system...
initializing motoko...
initializing 3D display system..
initializing geometry engines...
initializing draw engines...
initializing physics...
initializing oni motoko...
initializing local input...
initializing input system...
initializing animation system...
initializing animation system...
initializing environment...
initializing text system...
initializing the console...
initializing the materials...
initializing the full sound system 2...
initializing full sound system 2...
initializing particle 3...
initializing oni particle 3...
initializing env particle system...
initializing physics...
initializing game state...
initializing ai 2...
initializing window manager...
initializing film system...
initializing level...
initializing oni scripting...
initializing OBDr...
initializing OBJr...
initializing oni cinematics...
initializing oni sound...
initializing oni movie...
initializing the pause screen...
finished oni initializing
loading level 0...

I have tried everything in this thread seeing as the user seemed to have a similar issue.

http://oni.bungie.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3015

If you need any other information just let me know. Thanks in advance! Hopefully there is a way around this.

#2 01/11/17 13:01

Iritscen

Re: Oni Crashes on Startup OS X Mavericks 10.9.5

Hi Slayer.  Thanks for posting those log files.  It seems that this is a different issue than what Paco90 experienced.  Oni is reporting that it can't find the .sep files in your GameDataFolder.  Each level, from level0 on, should have a .dat, .raw, and .sep file for it on Macs.  If you've gotten the game data from Windows Oni, the .sep files will not be present because Windows Oni runs on an earlier version of the engine that didn't use those files.  So I would say to first make sure that you are working from the installation that comes off a Mac Oni CD-ROM.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 01/11/17 13:01

Slayer

Thanks for the lightning fast response. This makes a lot of sense, i used the windows version all i have is .dat/.raw. Is there any way to somehow acquire the sep files or would that technically be illegal?

#4 01/11/17 16:01

Iritscen

Essentially it's not legal, though it could probably be argued in a courtroom smile  Technically you have all the game data already, it's just that Mac Oni has some of the data from the Windows .raw file in a .sep file instead.

One option to work with what you have is to play Oni in Windows on your Mac (which I've done through Boot Camp or virtualization -- that is, Fusion or Parallels).  That, of course, costs money if you don't have such a Windows solution already.

It is theoretically possible to use our community tool OniSplit to convert the .dat/.raw files to the .dat/.raw/.sep format, and I've raised this subject in the past on the forum, but I don't know if anyone's ever tried to "convert" Oni from one platform to another.  Basically you would just be running a couple commands in OniSplit in the Terminal.  There is at least one potential issue with that, though, which is that the sound data in Windows is in a different format and in higher quality.  So the sound files would need to be converted and downsampled before they would play in Mac Oni.

You'd think that someone would have made a utility to do all this automatically by now, but it rarely seems to come up.  If you want to embark on that project which might or might not succeed, let me know and we can offer you some guidance.  Another option is of course just to look for a Mac version of Oni for sale smile

#5 01/11/17 18:01

Slayer

I see. Thanks for the thorough answer you are awesome.

Do you know where i can get OniSplit? Tried looking and couldn't really find it for mac. Unless it comes with AE, I can't seem to install it properly. I downloaded the prerequisites but it still tells me i need .NET.

If you are feeling really generous some rough directions on how to go about converting said files to .dat/.raw/.sep would be HIGHLY appreciated.

#6 01/11/17 18:01

Iritscen

You don't need to install the AE, but OniSplit requires Mono to be installed on Macs in order to provide the .NET environment (the AE is built upon OniSplit, so it won't run either without Mono).  Once installed, you can can test for the presence of Mono by entering "which mono" in Terminal and seeing if it returns any results.  If the regular Mono installer doesn't work, see this topic for a couple solutions: http://oni.bungie.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3032.

Once Mono is installed, you'll want to use OniSplit to split and recombine the level data.  But I think I should try it myself first to make sure that I give the right directions and that this will work, so I'll post back here on the subject in a few hours when I know more.

#7 01/11/17 18:01

Slayer

The command "which mono" comes up with "/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/Commands/mono"

Not sure whether or not i have the same issue as the person in the three you linked, if so, how do i go about creating a symbolic link in /usr/local/bin?

#8 01/11/17 19:01

Iritscen

Well, first of all, you don't absolutely need "mono" in /usr/local/bin/.  You could call OniSplit like this without the symlink in place:

/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/Commands/mono OniSplit.exe -version

The symbolic link is just for convenience when running OniSplit yourself.  With the symlink, you can simply say:

mono OniSplit.exe -version

I decided that this part of the discussion is better placed in the linked-to .NET thread since it provides a wrap-up of that discussion for any future readers, so check that thread for how to make the symlink.  If you are not comfortable following the steps as provided, I will be filling in more details later, so stay tuned.

#9 01/13/17 09:01

Iritscen

Just an update — I finished my post in the .NET thread explaining how to make Mono accessible from the Terminal by just typing "mono", but I am out of time to work on the actual project of converting the Windows data to Mac data.  Real life is really crazy right now, but I should find the time over the weekend.

#10 01/13/17 11:01

Slayer

Alright i have mono working, installed AE and installed Vago, not really sure where to go from here. I'll try to mess around with it but help would be appreciated!

#11 01/13/17 13:01

Scarlett

Since you have Vago working, go make some mods ^_^

#12 01/13/17 17:01

Iritscen

Scarlett, Slayer still can't run Oni because he doesn't have the right version of the game data.

Slayer, the basic idea is that you are going to want to use OniSplit (or the Vago GUI) to break down the Windows .dat/.raw files into .oni files, then recombine them in the Mac format.  The relevant documentation is here: http://wiki.oni2.net/OniSplit.  The outline of the required steps would be:

1. Use the "-export" command to turn every .dat file into .onis (the corresponding .raw file is called on automatically when you operate upon the .dat file).  So it would be something like (where "onisplit" means something like "mono OniSplit.exe"):

onisplit -export temp_folder/level0 Oni/GameDataFolder/level0_Final.dat

(and so on for each .dat file)

2. Convert the sound files from WAV to AIFF format.  This is one part that I'm not sure about.  There's some relevant documentation under the "Sounds" section of the above page, but I haven't tried it myself.  You might be able to use OniSplit's -extract command to get the sounds out in AIFF format, then -create to remake the SNDD .onis using the AIFFs.  However, I expect that a third-party program will be required to convert the sounds, extracted as 44KHz WAV, to 22KHz AIFF.  Then -create would be used on those AIFFs.

3. Recombine the .onis using the "-import:sep" command (just "-import" will also work when OniSplit is running on a Mac because it assumes you want the "sep" format):

onisplit -import temp_folder/level0 empty_folder/level0_Final.dat

(and so on for each .dat file)

If you feel comfortable with the command line, you can start off by trying steps 1 and 3, and see if you get the .dat/.raw/.sep files that Mac Oni needs.  Keep in mind that the game probably won't be able to load these files since the sounds weren't converted in step 2.  I can fill in more details this weekend when I find the time to experiment.

#13 03/13/17 02:03

fzza3a

It is work smile
for step 2 check out: XML SNDD

#14 04/19/17 22:04

Iritscen

Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't realized that paradox wrote documentation about converting the sound format for Mac/Win at http://wiki.oni2.net/XML:SNDD.  It's still a technical process, and it would be great to automate it some day.

#15 04/30/17 22:04

Iritscen

Okay, first let me cross-link to the thread where I finally worked out how to convert the sound data (step 2 above): http://oni.bungie.org/forum/viewtopic.p … 724#p51724

But now I've also made a script which handles the entire process of converting the Windows data to Mac format, which can be found here: http://mods.oni2.net/node/333.  It takes about six minutes to run on my machine.  I have opened Oni and loaded some of the levels that it produces, but besides that the converted game data is untested, so if anyone tries the script, let me know if you find any issues.

Board footer