Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 11/20/13 19:11

Samer
Website

any idea what this guy wants ?

this guy keeps posting this on Oni facebook group, and I don't understand what he wants ... an official Oni in another language or Anniversary Edition or what ?! ... I tried to get a clarification but he keeps posting the same thing as reply. If someone here understands and can reply in his language I'll pass on the reply.
SNAG-0001-21-11-2013.jpg

Last edited by Samer (11/20/13 19:11)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#2 11/20/13 20:11

Iritscen

Re: any idea what this guy wants ?

Wow.  He seems to be speaking in a mishmash of English and German, and maybe Swedish and Catalan.  I suspect he may in fact be a time-traveling speaker of ancient Proto-Slavic.  Here's my best guess:

"Oni Anniversary is an unofficial game patch, I would [like?] an official game update, [but the] official page is offline, [?unknown] Anniversary, for me is incompatible with my language pack [[in Windows, I assume]].  The main game version is 1.0 [but] I find a version 1.6 in a download.  I am from Slovakia, [?unknown] version [I?] find is in text files in Oni's Diary."

I don't understand that last part at all, and I'm uncertain what is version 1.6.

Interestingly, though, "ich" is a possessive form of "oni" in the Slavic family of languages, and "oni" means "them".  When Oni was sold in Russia and perhaps other Slavic-family countries, its title was written in the Cyrillic alphabet, which means that the game is actually called "Them".  Thus it's possible that when he says "ich" he means "of Oni".

I think he's trying to say that the AE is not compatible with his language, but it would be helpful if we could find out what language he speaks.  He's certainly not posting in Slovak.  I see that Bratislava is on a border with Austria, so he may not be a native Slovak speaker.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 11/21/13 04:11

Samer
Website

mmm ...
this is another reply from him when I said that he should stop spamming the same comment.
SNAG-0002-21-11-2013.jpg

either way though, are we able to provide AE in Slovak or whatever other language he might be asking for ? or should I just tell him it's not going to happen.

Last edited by Samer (11/21/13 04:11)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#4 11/21/13 05:11

Alloc
Website

AE *should* work in every language. Though I don't know what language his copy of Oni is in in terms of fonts so it could mess up displaying them if the fontset requires special code support like chinese or japanese does. And AFAIK there is no really newer official build, perhaps someone just patched his own version string inside an exe.

ONI2.net, link to just any important resource-pages about ONI.

#5 11/21/13 08:11

Iritscen

Wow, it really is like some kind of earlier form of the language that became German and English yikes   I'm curious if he speaks an unusual dialect of German.  More likely he only speaks a little English and doesn't have instruction in writing, and he is spelling things out phonetically.  Well, I think my earlier guess was wrong, or else he's saying something different now:

"My comments are not spam.  The Anniversary Edition is for me incompatible, [and?] it is only a graphical update.  I would like the official EXE game patch from godgames.com.  My game comes with version 1.0, I would like version 1.4 or 1.6 but the company page and email are offline, but I feel this patch of [?unknown] on the Internet is an ISO with version 1.0, this version is identified in the read-me, if someone has version 1.6 please send me the game ISO.  Thanks to all, my English is [little?]."

There is definitely no Oni.exe 1.6 or anything above 1.0 for Windows (the Mac is 1.1).  I'm pretty sure God Games never patched Oni and in any case they ceased to exist years ago, though 2K maintained a site at that address until 2011.  Obviously the community did patch Oni, fixing a graphics-related bug around 2006 with the WinXP patch, though that is now superseded by the Daodan DLL.  I suppose what you want to do is link him to the Daodan DLL and see if that helps.

#6 11/22/13 07:11

jackoverfull
Website

The problem is probably not in AE but in the Cocoa port for OS X. I tried that on my italian version of Oni and didn't work (can't remember the details, was many years ago).

Funny thing, I had bought Oni as a part of a package of games Feral released at some point (I remember other games were Max Paine, Black & White and a racing game I basically never played) and the Cocoa port was included as a patch on one of the CDs. Talk about testing what you release!

"To the future, blinkin' an eye to the past!"

#7 11/22/13 09:11

Iritscen

I guess we don't know what OS this guy is using (another thing to ask him, Samer), but I assumed it was some variant of Windows because he mentioned a "language pack", which is a Windows term.  On Macs, language is just a setting you choose.

#8 11/22/13 09:11

Alloc
Website

Also he was consistently referring to "exe", which as file extension is also a windows only thing. Of course he might be abbreviating "executable", don't know how much that term is used in the MacOS world wink

ONI2.net, link to just any important resource-pages about ONI.

#9 11/22/13 09:11

Iritscen

Oh, that's right.  Saying "exe" is a big hint that he's on Windows.

#10 11/22/13 09:11

jackoverfull
Website

Iritscen wrote:

I guess we don't know what OS this guy is using (another thing to ask him, Samer), but I assumed it was some variant of Windows because he mentioned a "language pack", which is a Windows term.  On Macs, language is just a setting you choose.

Not back then! Before Mac OS X every application was sold in different languages and sometimes there were "language packs" to tranlate them. Oni came around during the transition period and I an 100% sure that it was sold in different languages (because I still own an Italian Mac version…Funny to hear the cheap acting, by the way!).

Alloc wrote:

Also he was consistently referring to "exe", which as file extension is also a windows only thing.

Good point.

Of course he might be abbreviating "executable", don't know how much that term is used in the MacOS world wink

nut much. But a bit now, with all the "converts" coming from windows.

"To the future, blinkin' an eye to the past!"

Board footer