Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 08/29/12 20:08

Valkyrur

Remaking Oni levels in CSGO

I've recently got the idea when thinking of maps to make for CSGO to possibly remake areas from Oni as maps for CSGO with layout changes and redone themes on the maps

So far I've been doing some mental concepts (Not yet started work. Don't ask for concept art please, I don't do that. When I map I often do things in a stream of consciousness) for a remake of Musashi Manufacturing (Gamemode not decided yet, probably going to do Hostage Mode though). General theme is an office complex (ala Cs_Office) in a skyscraper (Like Rise Hard from CS: Condition Zero). Obvious layout changes would include new hallways and rooms to areas to avoid the linearity effect which tends to kill potentially good CS maps, still keeping the general feel of the original level the same whilst allowing for proper CS gameplay. So far a few names I have thought up for it are: CS_Office2, CS_Highrise, DE_Troit (Should I decide to use the defusal gamemode for it. Also pun name. Either way the map is probably going to have a theme of "Troit Corporation Offices").

After that is done and over with I'll probably move onto TCTF HQ for gungame or the Regional State Building for hostage mode.

Also, one thing that would aid me quite a lot is some way to view the maps out of game in some way so I'm not hindered by gameplay when getting references when remaking maps.

Last edited by Valkyrur (08/29/12 20:08)

SelvariaSigTG_zps73b33612.png

#2 08/29/12 21:08

Striker

Re: Remaking Oni levels in CSGO

Certified wrote:

I've recently got the idea when thinking of maps to make for CSGO to possibly remake areas from Oni as maps for CSGO with layout changes and redone themes on the maps

So far I've been doing some mental concepts (Not yet started work. Don't ask for concept art please, I don't do that. When I map I often do things in a stream of consciousness) for a remake of Musashi Manufacturing (Gamemode not decided yet, probably going to do Hostage Mode though). General theme is an office complex (ala Cs_Office) in a skyscraper (Like Rise Hard from CS: Condition Zero). Obvious layout changes would include new hallways and rooms to areas to avoid the linearity effect which tends to kill potentially good CS maps, still keeping the general feel of the original level the same whilst allowing for proper CS gameplay. So far a few names I have thought up for it are: CS_Office2, CS_Highrise, DE_Troit (Should I decide to use the defusal gamemode for it. Also pun name. Either way the map is probably going to have a theme of "Troit Corporation Offices").

After that is done and over with I'll probably move onto TCTF HQ for gungame or the Regional State Building for hostage mode.

Also, one thing that would aid me quite a lot is some way to view the maps out of game in some way so I'm not hindered by gameplay when getting references when remaking maps.

You should definitely put a lot of Oni references all over the map. Also, no point of making it just for CS:GO; make it for a more commonly played game with custom maps like Garry's Mod...

Click here to see the Oni Roleplay map. Click here to roll the dice. Click here to see the proper troop terminologies.

#3 08/29/12 23:08

Valkyrur

Source engine maps are easily backwards compatible into Gmod, so no need to make it for Gmod or Source in general there Striker.

I think I'm going to actually do the Regional State building one first. Much simpler layout, much more balanced to begin with for Multiplayer.

Another thing would be the problem of having servers to run the map on, but that's a hurdle that can be looked at when I've actually got a functioning map.

SelvariaSigTG_zps73b33612.png

#4 08/30/12 07:08

Striker

Certified wrote:

Source engine maps are easily backwards compatible into Gmod, so no need to make it for Gmod or Source in general there Striker.

I think I'm going to actually do the Regional State building one first. Much simpler layout, much more balanced to begin with for Multiplayer.

Another thing would be the problem of having servers to run the map on, but that's a hurdle that can be looked at when I've actually got a functioning map.

I know that all Source maps are backwards compatible, but I thought CS:GO was released on a new version of the Source engine which isn't yet compatible with Garry's Mod or other games. You might want to double check that. The regional state building would be a great map for something like deathmatch...

Click here to see the Oni Roleplay map. Click here to roll the dice. Click here to see the proper troop terminologies.

Board footer