Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 01/21/11 19:01

Iritscen

Re: The Hasegawa Journal

Plus there's that newspaper headline... "Murder Or Mercy?"

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#27 01/25/11 13:01

Mukade

Yeah yeah, but I didn't realize it was a gunshot -_-

Can't believe I never caught on to that

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#28 02/18/11 19:02

TheCreature

The next three entries are finally here.  First post edited to include them as well.

March 7, 2013 -- Jamie Hasegawa
    I’m laughing so hard right now, I can barely write this.  Muro was asking me questions about “why my tummy big”, and so I told him that his little sister was inside me.  Mai’s been kicking lately, and I let him feel her move a bit.  When he realized she was really in there, his eyes got as big as dinner plates.  Then he put his eye right up to my belly button, trying to see her.  When he couldn’t, he looked up at me and asked,
    “It’s dark in there.  She doesn’t need a nightlight?”  His little eyes were edged with concern.  I think I’m gonna let James explain this one.  I need to rest now.

April 12, 2013 -- James Hasegawa
    Writing this at the hospital, while I wait for our second child to be born.  Jamie went into labor this evening, just after we put Muro to bed.  We rushed here as fast as possible of course, and the orderlies rushed Jamie to the delivery room.  We held eye contact as long as possible, but hospitals these day don’t allow the father to be present for the birth, so I have to wait in the lobby.  I’d better call Phillip and ask him to watch Muro while I’m here.

April 13, 2013 -- James Hasegawa
    I am a happy man.  Jamie just gave birth to our second child!  She named her Mai.  I’m relieved that she’s healthy, considering how much stress we’ve gone through these past few months.  Jamie, on the other hand, is so exhausted that she’s going to have to stay at the hospital longer than usual.  The doctors won’t tell me why, exactly, just that she has to stay.  It’s a bit frustrating, but I can’t really do anything about it.
    Meanwhile, Muro’s been helping me put the finishing touches on Mai’s room.  He made sure she had a bright nightlight and a mobile above her crib.  He even managed to sit still long enough to draw portraits of me, Jamie, Kerr, and himself.  I helped him tape them up on the wall, and he even stood back with his thumb up, to make sure they were straight.

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#29 02/19/11 09:02

DarkLitria
Website

i really like how you made these hasegawa's journal it is so much more creative big_smile cant wait to see more ^^

No BLOOD no foul.

#30 03/06/11 15:03

TheCreature

First post edited with a new entry.

Edit:  Make that two new entries.

Double Edit for great justice:  hahaha more Hasegawa!  Die, Jamie die!!!

Last edited by TheCreature (04/04/11 10:04)

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#31 04/06/11 22:04

TheCreature

Double post, because I think this entry deserves special attention.

May 3, 2013 -- James Hasegawa
    --Noon came quickly this morning, but somehow we got all our equipment packed and ready to go.  I rummaged one last time through our backpacks to make sure we had everything we’d need.  Vials and bags for samples, scalpels for cutting said samples, a camera drone, notebooks, datapad, scanners, a small tent, and an assortment of other small stuff.  Jamie prepared our immunization hypos in the other room, and walked back out to me, holding one out to me while rubbing the sore spot hers had left on her arm.
    “Okay boss, your turn.  Don’t wanna catch cold on our field trip.”  She winced a little as she spoke, the aftereffects of the injection bringing the inevitable sour taste to her throat.
    “Thanks honey.” I said, taking it. “Better try your pack on to make sure it’s not too heavy.”  I winced as well as I injected myself, but the taste and soreness would pass momentarily.  Grunting, she heaved her pack on, and strode around the room to get a feel for it.
    “Pack’s okay.  I’ll just tighten the waist strap a bit more.”  She did so, and nodded to herself before slipping out of it.  I watched, and leaned in for a quick kiss as she passed me on her way to our room.
    “I’ll go see to the kids.  Love you.”  I said, and she continued on her way.  I watched her go, then turned and walked into the living room.  Irena was rocking Mai gently to sleep, but Muro wasn’t to be found anywhere.  I frowned.
    “Where’s Muro?”  I asked, speaking quietly so as not to wake Mai.  Then, from behind me a small voice piped up.
    “Here I am!”  Muro marched in, wearing my lab coat and peering at a vial.  “I’m a doctor just like you dad!”  I scooped him up, tousling his hair.
    “That you are!  What do you have there?”
    “It’s a mysterious plant from the dark forest!”  He held the vial aloft, proudly displaying a dandelion he was studying.
    “Oh!  That must’ve been very hard to get.”  I said, widening my eyes at his find.
    “No!  I’m a famous scientist!  Nothing’s hard for me!”  He peered closer at it, then waved it in the air.  “This plant has sleep powder in it, dad!  You’d better not breathe it, or you’ll die!”
    I puffed up my cheeks, making a show of holding my breath, and he laughed.  Then I set him down and he scurried over to show it to Irena.  I chuckled, and headed to the kitchen to pack our lunches.
    A few minutes later, me and Jamie were in the car, driving across the city towards the foreboding fence that we meant to cross.  I checked my watch, and counted down the seconds to when the fence would shut down.  An ominous buzz filled the car as we drew near, and then suddenly stopped.  Right on time.  Quickly, Jamie pulled over to the shoulder of the road, and we unloaded our packs, threw the tarp over the truck, and marched off to the reserve.  While she wasn’t looking, I dropped a couple stun mines in our wake, to prevent anyone from following us in.  We reached a pole in the fence, and I quickly set to cutting the wires so we could get in.  It’s unusually warm in here, as we instantly felt as we stepped under the canopy.  Jamie had dressed for the heat, and seemed little effected by the humidity, laughing gently at my stubbornness in wearing long-sleeved pants and shirt.  Soon we started to encounter plants that were unrecognizable, even to a botanist such as myself.  We were both excited, and began taking samples.
    ...Then Jamie stumbled.  I turned to look at her, and she smiled reassuringly at me.  She pulled out a bandage and applied it over the small cut on her leg.  Frowning, I walked over to the plant --which we had taken samples from-- and bent over to look at the thorn that seemed to have sprouted in the last few moments.  I brought my scalpel around to slice off the thorn, but then Jamie screamed.  Quickly I whirled, and saw a horrid green and purple... infection... crawling up her leg.  I rushed to her, and caught her as she fell, lowering her gently to the ground.  I scrambled to find a hypo spray, throwing my vials in desperation to get at the medkit.  Finally, I found it, and jammed the hypo into her artery, watching the ever-spreading color in horror as the drug only sped it’s progress.
    “No!”  I yelled, but tried for a more reassuring tone when I saw the pain in her eyes.  “Hold on Jamie, we’re gonna get you to the car.  There’s a better medkit there.”
    I tried to lift her, but when her leg moved she screamed in pain, so I set her down again.  The infection was spreading fast, so I tied a tourniquet around her leg to try and stop it.  And it seemed to work, but after a minute of hesitation the infection surfaced again on the other side and continued up towards her hip.  She spasmed in my arms, one of her hands hitting me on the side of the head.  I caught it, and held it tightly against my chest, realizing there was nothing I could do for her.  By now I was weeping openly, my vision blurred through a cascade of tears.  Then I felt her other hand reach towards my hip and pull my pistol from my pocket.  She swung it around towards her head, but another spasm threw it from her grasp and sent it tumbling to the ground.  Tense, claw-like from the pain, her hand reached for it again, but it was beyond her reach.  I looked at her green eyes, clouded with pain, and saw, more than heard, her final word.
    “Please...”  She begged me.  I reluctantly picked up the gun then, and, with sorrow filling my soul, ended her pain.  I wiped my eyes slowly, and then rage filled me.  Turning on the plant, I yelled and fired my gun mindlessly at it’s stalk.  I watched the ammo indicator count down, until there was only one bullet left, and then brought the barrel to my own temple.  But in my sorrow, I squeezed the trigger too early, and the gun fired harmlessly into the tree canopy.  I threw the gun away, looking around for my scalpels, but instead my eye lit on the samples we had taken of the plant.  Jamie would’ve wanted me to do something with them, I realized, use them to make sure this never happened to anyone else.
    Faintly, I heard an explosion from the direction of the fence, followed by much shouting.  I turned, and saw figures swarming around the hole I had cut in the wires.  They were wearing armor, I could see, but the haze was too thick to make out any other details.  Reluctantly, I turned back to the scene of Jamie’s death, and scooped up the plant samples.  I also took a sample of her skin near the cut, and pocketed the vials safely away.  Then I picked up Jamie’s body, and carried her towards the fence.  The armored men approached me, and I saw the roughly painted Syndicate insignia on their shoulders.  Two of them raised their guns and shouted orders at me, but a third figure, his armor painted with purple highlights contradicted them.
    “No.  We want this one alive.  Can’t you see he’s grieving?  Besides, he’s already got the information we need.”  His dark skin wrinkled thoughtfully around his eyes, and he slipped a business card into my pocket.  “So you know who to call when you run out of legal funding.”  He explained.  Then he turned to his men, and waved them towards the forest.  They jogged off, lowering protective masks over their faces as they entered the haze.  I watched them disappear, and then trudged back to my --our-- truck.

#32 04/30/11 12:04

DarkLitria
Website

this is really good, i enjoyed it alot. i really want to know what happens next smile

No BLOOD no foul.

#33 05/01/11 03:05

Yoriko

I'd like to know how the syndicate captures Muro and how James Hasegawa does to protect Mai smile

These journals are really great! big_smile I dont normally read fan fiction for games but this is something different.

-I noticed that the hackers of oni community made a lot of modifications before they locked me up, do you have any idea what they want with an old game? -Modifications? What kind of modifications?
-Hard to tell, without getting a look at things but it looks like they're repurposing it. -Why?
-Beats me, all the game has is brutal melee combat and furious gunplay. -I dont like the sound of that.....

#34 05/01/11 07:05

DarkLitria
Website

Yoriko wrote:

I'd like to know how the syndicate captures Muro and how James Hasegawa does to protect Mai smile

These journals are really great! big_smile I dont normally read fan fiction for games but this is something different.

i second that XDDD but i luv reading fanfiction XD;

No BLOOD no foul.

#35 05/01/11 11:05

TheCreature

I'm getting there, I'm getting there.  I tend to write in short bursts, so it's slow going.

#36 05/01/11 11:05

Yoriko

TheCreature wrote:

I'm getting there, I'm getting there.  I tend to write in short bursts, so it's slow going.

Speed it up you useless little bug! I'm not getting any younger!

No seriously take all the time you need. big_smile

Last edited by Yoriko (05/01/11 11:05)

-I noticed that the hackers of oni community made a lot of modifications before they locked me up, do you have any idea what they want with an old game? -Modifications? What kind of modifications?
-Hard to tell, without getting a look at things but it looks like they're repurposing it. -Why?
-Beats me, all the game has is brutal melee combat and furious gunplay. -I dont like the sound of that.....

#37 05/01/11 11:05

TheCreature

AH!  (starts typing faster & misspelling everything in haste)

Actually, I think I've got another entry coming up soon.

BTW, does anyone have a video of just the intro to Dream Diver?  I'd like to use it as an "audio entry" in the Journal.

Last edited by TheCreature (05/01/11 11:05)

#38 05/01/11 11:05

Lithium

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#39 05/01/11 12:05

TheCreature

Ok.  I guess i'll make it work somehow.

#40 05/01/11 12:05

Lithium

Atube catcher lets you download videos in MP3 format btw

Last edited by Lithium (05/01/11 12:05)

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#41 05/01/11 21:05

TheCreature

ah, well.  It didn't want to work for me, so I just put it in text.  Everyone's already heard Hasegawa's speech anyways.

May 12, 2013 -- James Hasegawa
                ---Audio Encrypt Engaged---
    --Since the loss of my beloved Jamie I have tried to find a way to excuse my survival.  Her sacrifice must have some meaning or the tragedy of it will overwhelm me.  I met Jamie when she was a student of mine. She was one of my best. It was also obvious that she was an exceptional person. I fell for her from the start.  Jamie was an activist. She knew government was concealing the facts about the environmental crisis. She was determined to set things straight no matter what the cost.  Jamie convinced me to join in the struggle. We both knew it was dangerous but we were young and thought we were indestructible.

--I miss her terribly.

--We never should have left the city. But we wanted proof of what was being allowed to happen.  They called it a Wilderness Preserve. It was one of the Contaminated Zones, the dirty secrets that the government made it easy to ignore.  We knew that traveling there would brand us as enemies of the state. We thought we were prepared to deal with the consequences of our choice, but what happened was more horrible than anything we could have ever imagined.  On our way into the Zone, Jamie cut her leg. The wound became infected almost immediately. I'd never seen anything like it. She was dying in my arms and there was nothing I could do to save her. All I could do was ease her pain.

--The world outside the Atmospheric Processors is poisonous.  If something isn't done we are all doomed.  Jamie's death won't be in vain.  I'm going to do something about the nightmare that killed her.  Phillip will help me.  He misses her as much as I do.

May 20, 2013 -- James Hasegawa
    --It’s been eight days of searching, and we still haven’t found anyone willing to fund my research.  Phillip has his clinic’s small lab, but it’s not equipped for the kind of experimentation we’ll be doing.  Not even BGI will agree to fund us, and everyone knows they’re the shadiest legitimate company out there.  I don’t believe I’m actually thinking this, but I am actually considering taking up the Syndicate’s offer.  I’ve worn the business card soft around the edges from fidgeting with it so much.  Kerr thinks it may be our only option, but I’m afraid that they want our research for nefarious purposes.  And what do I tell Muro?  He’s only four, but I can tell he misses Jamie too.  He follows me everywhere since she died.  What would he think if he found out I’m going to work for the “bad guys”?

June 10, 2013 -- James Hasegawa
        --audio to text encryption engaged--
        --Phone rings--
    “I knew you’d call, Hasegawa.  You looking to start some real research?”
    *sigh*  “Yes.  What are your terms?”
    “We’re not too strict here, Hasegawa.  Just security conscious.  You’ll have a full lab at your disposal, and as many resources as we can spare.  You’ll have to live in one of our secure housing complexes, and your outside contact will be limited, but you should find it rather comfortable nonetheless.”
    “When will we move in?”
    “We’ll meet you at the site of our previous encounter in ten days.  We’ll have your lab set up by then, so you can get to work straightaway.”
    “It’ll have to be a fully equipped biologic--”
    “I know what I’m doing, Hasegawa.  You’d best mind to your own business.”
    “What do you want with my research, anyways?”
    “I want what you want.  A cure for this dying world.”
    “Why do you care about saving the environment?  I thought all the Syndicate wanted was to undermine the WCG.”
    “Far from it, Hasegawa.  The WCG deceives the people of this world, and therefore it must be removed, if the world is going to be saved.  Now, as I said before, you had better mind your own business.”
    --Phone hangs up--
    “Did you get all that Phillip?”
    “Every word.  You still sure about this?”
    “It’s not as though we have any choice now, do we?”
    *sigh* I suppose you--
    --End of Encryption--

Last edited by TheCreature (06/25/11 17:06)

#42 06/25/11 17:06

TheCreature

bump.  new entry is in first post.

#43 07/02/11 01:07

Mukade

If this was a book I would not ever put it down... no joke, your writing is more riviting and realistic than *any* book I've read. Maybe because you only write small chunks, and therefore can put more care into each section. Your attention to detail is astounding. Looking forward to your next post!

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#44 07/02/11 07:07

Dirk Gently
Website

You should make these into formalized PDFs for ebook reading.

#45 07/02/11 15:07

Yoriko

Your writing skills are brilliant, perhaps you can persuade some comic site into making your work into a cartoon smile
Dark horse comics for instance.

I dont mind reading without visuals tho, they appear in my mind. ^^

#46 07/02/11 17:07

TheCreature

Thanks guys.  I should have a new entry sometime later today.

#47 08/15/11 21:08

Knox

Awesome.

"New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team."
Oni fan since 2001.

#48 08/09/12 14:08

Samer
Website

this is really nice, just had time to read it today, i couldn't stop reading it, u have a great style, that makes it feel realistic, i hope u continue this someday soon !

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#49 09/05/12 18:09

TheCreature

Here's a few more entries in the Journal.

June 23, 2013 -- James Hasegawa
    --Well I’m in with the Syndicate.  Muro is excited about our new house, and his enthusiasm is almost enough to counter this feeling of depression that I’ve slipped into.  I’m missing Jamie more and more every day, and it feels as though an icy hand grips my heart in it’s dead clutch.  I feel rage at the WCG for lying to us about the Wilderness, and anger at myself for taking her into the Wilderness so rashly.  But I WILL find a way to cure this world, and by doing so, atone for my guilt...
    --The Syndicate have given me more than I had ever dreamed of here.  I have a laboratory more extensive and far more advanced than anything I ever had at the university.  Because they’re operating outside of WCG law, they’ve been able to develop far faster than civilians, and in more radical directions than the military.  Some of this stuff I had to be taught how to use, but I catch on quickly, so I can operate most of it fairly well.  They’re also housing us fairly well, allowing Irena to move in with the kids so I don’t have to spend valuable research time taking care of them.

July 4, 2013 -- James Hasegawa
    --My research has progressed far faster than I had hoped.  I’ve managed to extract the plant’s DNA, and splice it into a computer simulation.  I’m able to see it’s entire life process unfold before my eyes.  This is amazing.  I can even place the plant into a virtual environment and watch how it interacts with it’s surroundings.  Oddly, it doesn’t seem to use photosynthesis at all.  It... Feeds... On other organisms by infecting them with spores when they are scratched by it’s thorns.  The spores then intertwine themselves with the body, killing it and reconnecting to feed the main stalk.  It’s astounding how the plant can feed off of a single body for weeks.  I understand how it killed Jamie at last.

February 5, 2014 -- Phillip Kerr
    --James has become infatuated with this plant.  I came to their house to see the kids, and he wasn’t here.  Irena has been raising them single-handedly, poor girl.  Now, I knew that she was becoming stressed about working for James, because it’s been restricting her schedule, but when I arrived she was in tears on the couch, because James hand’t been home in several days.  She has formed a bond with the family, and I even think that she’d been hoping for a more personal relationship with James.  Now, I’ve been paying her for her time, since James is only receiving minimal support from the Syndicate, outside their funding of his research.  But he’s been disregarding her entirely, and she could’t take it anymore.  She left her set of keys, and stormed off with only a curt goodbye to the children.  I’ll have to talk with James about this, because if he doesn’t get his act together, he’ll find himself with no-one left but his grief.  Until he comes home, I’ll watch the kids, and be here for Irena if she comes back.

February 7, 2014 --Phillip Kerr & James Hasegawa
    --Audio Encryption Activated--
    --door opens and slams closed--
    “Hello James.”
    “What are you doing here, Phillip?  Where’s Irena and the kids?”
    “Irena left two days ago.  The kids are in bed.  Do you know how long you’ve been at the lab, James?”
    “I’ve been working on the plant for a couple days.  The syndicate gave me a bunk to sleep on when I’m doing overtime.”
    “You’ve been gone for over a week, James.  Your obsession with that plant has made you lose contact with reality.  I miss Jamie too, but she wouldn’t have wanted you to be this fixated.  When you two were researching together, you always took time for your family, no matter how busy you were.  Remember that?”
    “Don’t dictate to me, Phillip.  Jamie meant the world to me.  She would want my full attention to go towards finishing what we started.”
    --couch creaks, followed by footsteps--
    “Then let me help.  I can’t replace her knowledge in the laboratory, but I can at least help you some.  And with both of us working, you’ll have more time to see Muro and Mai.  Remember them?  Your children who love you?”
    “Fine.  You can come with me to the lab tomorrow and see what I’ve been working on.”
    “Good.  You go find a daycare for Mai, then, and I’ll make dinner.”
    --footsteps leaving, footsteps coming closer--
    --Audio Encryption Ended--

#50 09/06/12 02:09

Samer
Website

Welcome back smile and nice entry looking forward for more.

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

Board footer