Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 07/27/07 10:07

bboyzagy

Multiplayer Idea

Why don't you great modders combine your (deadly) brains and create a program that will integrate into Oni and allow you to choose a character and arena where you will fight against and with your friends you know make a server and join in with an IP adress but pls if you decide to make this kind of program make every character choosable except daodan Muro he's too big...

The B-Boy Style Will Live On

#2 07/27/07 17:07

geyser
Website

Re: Multiplayer Idea

Heh smile
Somebody asked me about multiplayer lately. Here's the answer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8zpfiHeR_s
Mutant Muro is not too big. He's just "behemoth"ed. Enter the "minime" or "behemoth" cheat twice after getting him.
No comment on the rest. I recommend searching these forums for "multiplayer" before posting such brilliant ideas.
Heh smile

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#3 07/28/07 03:07

bboyzagy

Look i'm too hungry and too nervous to search and I would really be thankful if You would tell me the progress of any multiplayer mod for Oni and tell me if any exist and are they working....

#4 07/28/07 05:07

Loser

Look i'm too hungry - me too ^_^

too nervous to search - or just too lazy eh?

if You would tell me the progress of any multiplayer mod for Oni.... - no there is NO multiplayer for Oni right now.

Geyser: I have nothing to do with this question, really. That stuff on your video was just a sudden idea, nothing more.

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#5 07/28/07 08:07

bboyzagy

Look man I'm not lazy the thing is when i'm hungry I can't do anything right all I can do is get angry...(sometimes I wonder how my keyboard survives all the pounding I've been giving her... To geyser: Look man the idea for the multiplayer program came from the Vice City Multiplayer program that you can download from here and get the idea I got: http://vicecitymultiplayer/downloads/03/VC-MP_0.3z_client.zip I mean just make a program like that one ecept put the option of choosing a character and choosing an arena(isolated part of a level) is that so hard?

#6 07/28/07 09:07

geyser
Website

I mean just make a program like that one except put the option of choosing a character and choosing an arena(isolated part of a level) is that so hard?

That request is a joke: yes it is hard, otherwise you can be sure we'd have brought that great "why doncha?" idea to life a couple of years ago. Right?

As you probably know, Oni initially had multiplayer (LAN, at least), complete with a set of actual arenas and global availability of all character models.
As you also know, Bungie removed that part from their engine at pre-beta due to what they believed were unsolvable problems (mostly sync, I think).
There is no trace of the netcode in any of the available versions of Oni. So we have to do lots of reverse engineering and new netcode on top of it.

As it is, Oni has a lot of multiplayer-relevant data. There can be no multiplayer until that data is documented and ready to be interfaced with new code.
There has been progress in that direction with the development of the Daodan SDK, but the only guy on it is SFeLi and he has only this much time...

Ultimately, what makes fan-made multiplayer support happen or not happen is the motivation, proficiency and priorities in life of the people involved.
In the case of MTA, they had a skilled team of coders and hackers, a very large community to support them, and they had some source to start with.
In our case, multiplayer is significantly harder not only because of Oni's melee-oriented gameplay, but because we only have 2 or 3 coders around.
It's not right to say that Oni Multiplayer is dead (there have been previous attempts to make it work), but the required functionality is not there yet.

In any case, there are projects like Oni Team Arena, which are meant to pave the way for true multiplayer once it's there: exploring possibilities.
OTA does exactly this: it sets up arenas in a few suitable areas throughout Oni, and it treats Oni's AI as respawning bots, just to see how it feels.
On the whole OTA feels quite good. Apart from a test ground for improved content (AI), it provides a context for multiplayer-oriented additions.

For example, the next Daodan DLL release will prevent the loss of melee logic for bots, thus allowing us to use Oni's built-in frag counters.
Later releases will allow one to access those counters and redefine more stuff at runtime (AI's name, combat and melee skills, etc).
Once enough multiplayer-relevant fields become available for high-level management, we might look into netcode. But, not now.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#7 07/28/07 17:07

bboyzagy

Thanks for explaining that in such detail I'll be patient and try to satisfy muself by playing Script10k's titan mod i mean to be chased by 20+ strikers is a challenge.

#8 03/13/10 09:03

Striker

I found the multiplayer for Oni. It is located on this website.
It is in its early alpha stage, and has incredible lag, but it may work.

It's the closest thing to Oni multiplayer yet.

Click here to see the Oni Roleplay map. Click here to roll the dice. Click here to see the proper troop terminologies.

#9 03/13/10 10:03

TOCS

I don't think that project is being worked on any more. The new Flatline might be the next step we'll take into Oni multiplayer. smile

#10 03/13/10 10:03

Iritscen

Holy Necropost, Batman.

Yes, look up Flatline on the wiki.  Not a lot has happened with it recently, but it's still our best hope.  It's already gotten further than OniHook/OniPlayer did.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

Board footer