Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 07/02/07 13:07

Triak

Konoko CG

Hello,

Here I present my project to modelise Konoko in 3D. I had this project in mind for 3 years now, but I lacked the time to realize it until now.

My goal is to model her as we see her on this pick, carring guns, wearring her fighting suit.

onistandeeartbw8.jpg

I based my roughs on all the wallpapers about her, and fortunatly, I had this pic of her face, so, i didn't had to draw it tongue (i'm a very bad drawer)

konheadlo7.jpg

Well. The first step was to make her body, and here are the pics.

I assume that it looks more like a big-boobed alien than our beloved Konoko, but it should look better when I'll skin the eyes, and make her hairs and eyesbrow. Then, I may change a bit her face if it still look weird (remember I used original picture of her face to make it).

I'm opened to every suggestions, I want it to be as perfect as possible smile

konok01vr9.jpg
By triak at 2007-07-02

konok02wu6.jpg
By triak at 2007-07-02

konok03zm6.jpg
By triak at 2007-07-02

konok04bv5.jpg
By triak at 2007-07-02

konok05yd3.jpg
By triak at 2007-07-02

The next step will be to modelise the Hughes Black Adder SMG, I want to go back a bit to a more "squarred" modelisation after so many organics forms tongue

[Edit1] : huho, FTP problems >.<, that sux, I gonna fix it

[Edit2] : ok, it's solved smile enjoy.

Last edited by Triak (07/02/07 13:07)

#2 07/02/07 13:07

paradox-01

Re: Konoko CG

It's always good seeing new member and for more new work. smile
Maybe you can arrange yourself with some other guys here, Owldreamer probably.

#3 07/03/07 12:07

guido
Website

you may use this reference instead, it should work fine for your case...

What if this is as good as it gets?

#4 07/03/07 16:07

geyser
Website

I'd move her mouth down a bit. As for her breasts - definitely too large. But with the armor on, the chest will look completely different anyway.

Anime faces are hard to model because they're not too realistic by design. Note that drawings of an anime face (even Lorraine's) may be inconsistent.
I.e., even if you manage to make a face look good head-on and in profile, it may still look "wrong" or even ugly when viewed from other angles.
That's actually normal, but it doesn't correspond to what we're used to see in anime, where every frame can be tweaked to look just right.
Don't be afraid to make the eyes more normal-sized, since that will give a more natural overall impression when viewing from all angles.
I'd also make the head taller, or bring the eyes down a bit (while making them smaller). Right now, she doesn't have much of a forehead.

On the whole, though, that has to be the best attempt so far at modeling a next-gen Konoko. I hope you can make a meshified version.

Last edited by geyser (07/03/07 17:07)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#5 07/04/07 11:07

Triak

Thanks for the advices smile I can tweak her a bit with all this stuff.

#6 07/05/07 01:07

Triak

Here is the gun. I choosed it because I find the muzzle break astonishing ^^

smg1td1.jpg
By triak at 2007-07-04

smg2an6.jpg
By triak at 2007-07-04

Now, I'm gonna tweak the body before making her suit.

#7 07/05/07 02:07

Tyr
Website

Nice job! It looks very good big_smile
What program and stuff do you use to make these models? yikes
I want to try it aswell wink

Last edited by Tyr (07/05/07 02:07)

#8 07/05/07 05:07

geyser
Website

Rhaa lovely!

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#9 07/05/07 12:07

Triak

I'm using 3D Studio max 8 to model these.  But know that you need huge amount of hours learning, making tons of tutorials (when you can't pay studies for such skills) to master the software. I spend nearly all my free time on it wink

Btw, today, her hips and breast melt down during lunch time, making the model closer to what she really looks wink Let's work on face tongue

Last edited by Triak (07/05/07 12:07)

#10 07/06/07 04:07

Mango

I've always been interested in 3D modeling, and what you're doing here looks great wink
I wish I had 3D Studio Max, but I'm on a Mac. I did try Maya, which is very similar. Right now I'm looking at Blender and what you're doing inspires me to try more stuff!

Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see the finished product tongue

Last edited by Mango (07/06/07 04:07)

Bite off more than you can chew... then chew like hell!!!

oniuserbaren4.png

#11 07/12/07 12:07

Triak

Here is the tweaked version of her body. I'm quite satisfied of it. I may give further improvements before mapping it, it's time to work on her suit ^^

I post the old and the new version to compare them :

konok02wu6.jpgkonok06ix5.jpg
By triak at 2007-07-12

konok03zm6.jpgkonok07jf9.jpg
By triak at 2007-07-12

konok08tn1.jpg
By triak at 2007-07-12

konok09ir4.jpg
By triak at 2007-07-12

konok10rn0.jpg
By triak at 2007-07-12

konok11wd6.jpg
By triak at 2007-07-12

#12 07/12/07 12:07

geyser
Website

My only suggestion would be to fill up the ridge of her nose a bit. Or just make the tip smaller.
Otherwise, she's getting along very nicely. Didn't notice any melting of the breats, though wink
When and if you have textured (and rigged?) models, make sure you give Pierre a call.
Most of the stuff for Konoko Payne (new levels, entities and such) is authored in Max.

Late comment on the Black Adder: the Superball Gun has a nice muzzle break too wink

Last edited by geyser (07/12/07 12:07)

#13 07/12/07 13:07

Loser

Black adder in its full digital glory. Amazing work....

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#14 07/12/07 14:07

Triak

Such a model wont be playabe tongue At the end of the work, I can guess around 500 000 polygons.

#15 07/12/07 18:07

geyser
Website

SS2's bosses have 10k polys. Surely you can uglify her times 50?
As we all know, Konoko still looks gorgeous "even" in 1000 poly wink
And your model is really inspiring in terms of ingame looks...
Have a look at this: http://www.polymallet.com/images/F03%20 … m-bald.mov
She doesn't have a lot of polys, but she reminds me of yours.
Couldn't we find a compromise? You've got a client here... smile

Last edited by geyser (07/12/07 19:07)

#16 07/13/07 13:07

Triak

You don't modelise exactly the same way when you do a middle poly and a high poly character. The LPM (low polygon model) cage used to get the model you're seing is absolutly horrible, diform and exaggerated, and dont even exeed 2000 polys ^^' Furthermore, this one is intended to do statics pictures. But I could give a look when everything will be done ^^ Check it in 1 or 2 months tongue

#17 07/15/07 10:07

Triak

Work in progress. I finished the lower part of her suit during this week-end. It's not textured, I just use basic materials to have a preview.

konok12lg4.jpg
By triak at 2007-07-15

konok13ej3.jpg
By triak at 2007-07-15

#18 07/16/07 01:07

Mango

Nice progress!

Bite off more than you can chew... then chew like hell!!!

oniuserbaren4.png

#19 07/16/07 06:07

Coyote

I think this is great work but it seems to me that Konoko is too thin(at least legs) smile

Does your blood burn when you kill? Mine does

#20 07/16/07 09:07

geyser
Website

I concur. Konoko is (very) short, and so her arms and legs should appear rather thick in proportion.
If we overlook the fact that she's an "enhanced" human, then she should be reasonably athletic...
So the arms/legs should look like they can actually throw punches/kicks that can ground a Striker.
I mean, the legs are not strikingly thin, and the arms still lack the armor which could fix the looks.
But maybe take another look at the reference provided by Guido (leg-buttock joint, calves, etc).
As for the breasts, they should definitely be flattened rather than enhanced by a combat catsuit smile
But, again, it's a lucky thing there'll be armor on top of them: it can redeem almost anything wink
As for her "butt-pack", maybe make it more rounded like in the "Be my Valentine" picture:
http://www.bungie.net/projects/oni/asse … =32&item=2
http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Oni/ … entine.jpg
There are other minor details regarding the proportions of the boot/shinguard parts.
But I think I've bugged you enough already for today.
BTW, note that both Pierre and I are "native" French.

Last edited by geyser (07/16/07 09:07)

#21 07/16/07 10:07

Triak

Fans are compeling ^^ I like that tongue I'll give a look right now ^^  Shins may look a bit thin because of camera's lens deformation, and don't worry about her breast, it's even not a detail that we will see during the final render tongue

Concerning suit details, you should have noticed there are not the same depending on the picture/wallpaper you look at. I chose the squarred design, closer to the in-game design, and, if I remember well, the game package.

#22 07/16/07 12:07

geyser
Website

Fans are compeling ^^ I like that tongue

We are what? smile

Breasts are indeed something you'll "cover up" wink  Legs are mostly OK - somehow they look thicker in 3/4 rear view.
Lorraine's drawings are very inconsistent, yes. And the print art Konoko tends to be longer and leaner than ingame.
Concerning the ingame appearance, the meshes may be square (low-poly), but the colors/shadows suggest curves.
On the game package, we usually get the same picture as on your first pic (or rather a different, smiling version).
Are you planning to make a "torn" version? http://www.bungie.net/projects/oni/asse … =32&item=9

#23 07/16/07 13:07

Triak

Les fans sont exigeants tongue

I don't plane to do a torn version for now, it would waste a lot of time, and I have some others CG projects after this one ^^

Your advices are precious, it's hard to take some recoil on our work when you spend time on it each days !

#24 08/17/07 22:08

Sheika23

hey when you said that its hard to desing 3d anime charachters i was wondering if you have ever seen the Ghost in the shell game for the PS2 that did a pretty good job of rendering 3 dimensional anime charachters i dont know if you would be able to get the models but it was a good random thought

THe 0rijin4L SHEIKA-23

#25 08/24/07 21:08

itstemo1

empty

Last edited by itstemo1 (09/04/17 20:09)

Board footer