Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 05/30/07 22:05

Nexmes

Help!

Yes im having trouble installing Oni again. Im having a really bad error. I took out the folder that had oni in it after I installed it I know this sounds pretty stupid to do. But...
I had to delete the file with the game because the game turned blank like a little window with a browse icon. I deleted the game and folder but I cant seem to install Oni again. Has anyone had trouble with this before or do you know how to fix this messed up error? I even cant install it now i own the disk.

#2 05/30/07 23:05

EdT
Website

Re: Help!

Nexmes:  Welcome to the OCF

Did you check to see if the game and folder is still in your recycle bin?   Hopefully, you can recover it.
What system are you running?  It will be helpful if you give us the OS version and computer information.

In the meantime, look around the forum, there are many interesting and cool things to see.

#3 05/31/07 01:05

Tosh
Website

If I remember correctly, you can drag and drop the files needed into Program Files\Oni from the CD without installing.
To open the CD on Windows without making it install, right-click the CD drive icon and select Open.

#4 05/31/07 07:05

geyser
Website

@ Tosh: My installation CD has .cab archives on it, and apparently they're non-standard, encrypted ones. So in my case at least, I can't copy the files without running the installer.

@ Nexmes: Information on your OS is indeed the least we'll have to know in order to help you. If we can't tell if you're on Mac or PC from your post, maybe you should give us a hint wink
About the "really bad error": how does this error look like? Please describe in more detail your first installation, the removal, and the new, unsuccessful installations. Thank you.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#5 05/31/07 10:05

Ether

Note: If you've deleted the game files manually and been unable to install the game from the CD, the solution is pretty simple. Run regedit.exe or another registry editing tool, go to path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and find a key called Oni or search for it. That key must be deleted in order to notify the installer that the game is NOT already installed. Then the installer shoudn't cause any trouble.
This works only on Windows and if the installer is standard enough and your problem is caused by this inconsitency between the registry and the reality.
Of course this message will be destroyed 5 seconds after you've finished reading it, so vacate the room, where is your computer and hide.

#6 05/31/07 11:05

geyser
Website

I never had any trouble installing the game 3 times in a row (installing the English version, moving it away, then installing the French and/or the German one)
So that Add/Remove entry (explicitly written by the installer? or generated by the OS?) doesn't seem to change much for me. No other registry keys AFAIK.

@ Nexmes: don't run regedit unless you feel very confident. If you mess up there, you may have greater problems than not being able to run Oni.

Last edited by geyser (05/31/07 11:05)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#7 05/31/07 13:05

Ether

1] It was just a thought, with some games the registry is a real pain in the eema smile.
2] The cabs on the CD are special InstallShield cabinets (very funny of them), which can be extracted with the proper tools and libraries (hard to find on the net). Windows don't support this format and most extraction tools as well.
3] I wonder, how can one ever become 'very confident' with the registry (or anything else) without trying? Because, you know, everybody's saying 'if you're not an expert, don't do it' and 'we aren't responsible for anything'... I don't criticize, just think about the concept.

Board footer