Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 02/23/08 19:02

SektorZ
Website

ONI Adventures 1 (video)

I figured I could waste a spare day on something Oni-related. This sucks beyond any limits, but it's just a start, I wanted to see what can I do with a couple of scripts, some video editing & Flash. The next one will be much better (pretty graphics and joke-wise). This one doesn't have either. Anyways:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd14DmWAZUI

Leave comments, ideas, whatever.
If you want to see something special in particular I'd probably do it.

#2 02/24/08 02:02

DJ SEI-RYU
Website

Re: ONI Adventures 1 (video)

you did well with the timing on the fury's dancing
kudos on the face fart.

#3 02/25/08 18:02

geyser
Website

It's pretty good. I guess I'll wait till the next one before I request anything special.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#4 02/26/08 04:02

Rich begger

HOW DID YOU PLAY AS Mukade on that air port level??? (EVEN WITH SHAPE SHIFTER.)

#5 02/26/08 06:02

SektorZ
Website

The Seventh Anniversary Edition... The guys found a way to import all the characters in all levels.

#6 02/26/08 09:02

Iritscen

Nice, clever idea.  "Thanks to Bungie for releasing Half-Oni"... lol

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#7 02/26/08 11:02

geyser
Website

Or rather, I do have a suggestion: recurrent scenes. For example, you could show the Comguy still "smacking his bitch up" after the credits.
And speaking of the credits: I really like the take on the Oni 2D gameplay. Maybe you can set up a more extended action scene in that spirit.

Last edited by geyser (02/26/08 11:02)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#8 02/28/08 08:02

SektorZ
Website

The problem is I need a long one-colored wall or even better - a room to film this and then cut the characters and put them wherever. Of course this can be done with replacing textures but I'm not really advanced with oni editing and OniTools doesn't let me import hmm

#9 02/28/08 09:02

Iritscen

One way to do blue-screen in Oni:
1. Browse through the textures (you could use OniTools for that, or the (mostly) categorized album at http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff17 … 20Project/ (pw: konoko)), and look for a wall texture you recognize; alternately, find a long wall in the game and then look for that texture in one of the two places above.

2. In your graphics app of choice, make a blue box with dimensions of 64x64, 128x128, or 256x256 with an alpha channel that is set to full opacity and save it as a .tga somewhere, with the name of the wall texture you want to replace.

3. Find that wall texture in GameDataFolder/level0_Final/ (assuming you have the Edition installed) and copy it somewhere for safekeeping.

4. Call OniSplit and have it import the .tga.  The syntax for that is here if you aren't familiar with the tool.

5. Recompile the level using the edition scripts.  The command for just compiling one level escapes me, but someone else here will know it.

6. Find the wall in-game, and see if it's blue.  If its color is altered by fog, you can change the BSL script for that level to remove the fog so it stays more consistently blue (shadows might still be a problem).

How did I do, geyser?  Does this look good?

#10 02/28/08 11:02

geyser
Website

@ 2: The alpha channel is ignored for environment textures, so you don't have to bother about it. Actually, using an alpha channel for fully opaque things is weird in the first place.

@ 5: The Edition's textures are all in level0_Final, which takes the most time to rebuild, so it doesn't make much of a difference whether you rebuild all levels or just level0_Final.

@ 6: Vertex shading is indeed a more important problem than fog here. You'll have to pick a room with uniform vertex shading, and I can't really point out a room suited for this.

There are other ways to set up a "green screen" in Oni. The easiest way is to replace the skybox textures and to hide the environment completely.
The bottom of the skybox will always be black, so if you want to look down on the characters, you'll have a problem (so, back to retexturing floors).
There's also an issue with the edges of the skybox, which appear black on the most recent hardware for some reason. We can't really fix it yet.
Other than that, paint the skybox green or whatever, hide the environment, turn off fog and you're pretty much set for most of your scenes...

You shouldn't be using OniTools.NET at all these days, Sektor... OUP is great at replacing textures, whether you have the Edition or not.
(with OUP you can open your final level files, bypassing the manipulations with OniSplit altogether; very convenient for quick texturing)
The skybox textures are very easy to identify: just filter by "afternoon", "sunset", "night" or "crap" in TXMP-Replacer and you got them.
The environment and the character shadows can be turned off with gs_show_environment= 0 and gs_show_shadows=0, respectively.
You can also hide particles and pretty much everything else. Fog can't really be disabled, but you can modify its start/end distances.

Last edited by geyser (02/28/08 11:02)

#11 02/28/08 11:02

Iritscen

Cool.  I should have just let geyser answer instead of taking the time to write my post, because I didn't know you could hide the environment so easily.

I just had a thought, though: what about setting the fog to start really early, and be blue (or whatever color for keying purposes)?  Could you use that to make a blue room?

#12 02/28/08 11:02

geyser
Website

You can do that, yes. You can put the start/end distance of the fog right behind the character, so that there'll be no fog at all at first and then practically a wall of fog wall that will mask the background.
However, the fog won't do anything to the ground you're standing on. And if you hide the environment, the fog will have no effect (because it's supposed to blend with polygons, not with the skybox).
So the idea here would be to chr_nocollision the characters (so, no jumping) and to make them hover in the middle of a big hall, so you'll see nothing but fog no matter where you look.
Another problem with fog is that its effect is relative to the camera's position and orientation, but for a scene in a large enough hall, with the fog wall far away, it shouldn't matter much.
So, basically: gl_fog_green=1; gl_fog_red=0; gl_fog_blue=0; gl_fog_start=0.95; gl_fog_end=0.951; and then chr_nocollision and chr_location for all chars and the usual camera work.

Last edited by geyser (02/28/08 12:02)

#13 02/28/08 12:02

Iritscen

Ah, I didn't fully realize that fog doesn't affect the ground (that's poor coding imho).  That's the major problem with my idea.

#14 02/28/08 13:02

SektorZ
Website

Thanks for the ideas, guys, you said alot of things but replacing the backgrounds sounds best. Now what is OUP?
The Photobucked account Iritscen linked to is set to private..

#15 02/28/08 13:02

Iritscen

The password is konoko.

OUP can also be used to browse the TXMPs (among other features).  But in the categorized album I linked to, the TXMPs you want are in the sub-album Environment.  You'll see it when you log into the TXMP album.  (This will allow you to get the name of the TXMP you're going to replace with a flat color.)

Last edited by Iritscen (02/28/08 13:02)

#16 02/28/08 13:02

SektorZ
Website

It says there's no content in that album.

http://wiki.oni2.net/OUP
I'll try this now

Last edited by SektorZ (02/28/08 13:02)

#17 02/28/08 13:02

Iritscen

:\  I guess no one knows how to use Photobucket.  The categories are on the left.

#18 02/28/08 14:02

geyser
Website

"Ah, I didn't fully realize that fog doesn't affect the ground (that's poor coding imho)." big_smile
I'd think twice before complaining about "poor coding" in Oni. Let's have a look, shall we?
Fog affects every polygon in Oni's world except for the skybox: walls, ground, whatever.
However, it only kicks in at a certain distance from the camera (e.g., beyond the player).
That means that the ground at the player's feet won't be foggy if the player himself isn't.
So it's not poor coding at all, just that if you veil the ground, you'll veil the feet as well...

"replacing the backgrounds sounds best" You may have problems with vertex shading...

Last edited by geyser (02/28/08 14:02)

#19 02/28/08 14:02

SektorZ
Website

So I replaced the mountain texture and the snow one, since that would make a perfect screening space outside the fences at the beginning of the last level. Did it with OUP, now the level crashes :f

You may have problems with vertex shading...

It's not that hard to manage it with the video editor's keying options.

Last edited by SektorZ (02/28/08 14:02)

#20 02/28/08 15:02

Iritscen

geyser wrote:

"Ah, I didn't fully realize that fog doesn't affect the ground (that's poor coding imho)." big_smile
I'd think twice before complaining about "poor coding" in Oni. Let's have a look, shall we? [...]

You said that the fog would not affect the ground, which implied to me that fog ignores ground polygons, but I guess what you meant was, fog that is that close will obscure the character too.  I actually thought that fog did not obscure characters, which is why I assumed close fog would do the trick.  I assumed that about the characters because I was having that darkness bug a while back and was seeing this:

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t72/ … Lobby1.png

The reason for that darkness turned out to be that the Edition's installation had not copied the TXMPs over like it was supposed to (or something, I was missing textures, that was the point), so everything would have been black if not for the fog in the distance.  But since the characters in that shot seem totally black, I assumed that fog had no effect on them.

</reallyverboseexplanation>

#21 02/28/08 15:02

geyser
Website

@ Iritscen: The characters in that shot are just as black as the ground at their feet.

@ Sektor: Keep trying, be systematic, report as you go, and eventually you'll succeed.

#22 02/28/08 15:02

Iritscen

Yeah, I guess I was hallucinating.  Looking at them against the fog far behind them creates the illusion that the fog is not affecting them, but you're right, they're just in front of where it starts.

#23 02/29/08 08:02

SektorZ
Website

Right, so what do I do now? Oni crashes when I use OUP to replace those textures..
Edit Nevermind, I just have to find out what image format does Oni support... I'm guessing 256 or 24-bit color tga...
Edit I wish the mountains would match the floor.
Edit Finally, the perfect screening area.

Last edited by SektorZ (02/29/08 09:02)

#24 02/29/08 10:02

geyser
Website

Can you confirm that OUP import worked at last? Also, please report what format you used at first.
None of the textures imported with OUP are supposed to make Oni crash. If it does, help us fix it...

I wouldn't say the color match is perfect in your screenshot.
Are the quads shaded differently? Did you remove the fog?

#25 02/29/08 10:02

SektorZ
Website

I didn't, just made it start and end at longer distance. Tried setting it to green but that didn't work one bit.

The first image format I used was a normal 24-bit bmp, replacing worked perfectly with 256-color bmp. It doesn't look perfect but it's perfect for green-screening anyways.

Board footer