Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 04/25/17 20:04

SavagE

ONI developed by... Rockstar?

I recently dug up Oni from my PC game collection and noticed something very peculiar - the cover says it was developed by... Rockstar Games! I cross-checked that with official UK packaging and it was the same. You can find the very same information on the PS2 version back cover, where its a little more understandable, since they did the porting.

So, it turns out only the American versions got it right and I wonder why. Rockstar was not a household name it is today back then - that was still a time before GTA3 hit the shelves. Why present it like that? There isnt even a Bungie name mentioned anywhere. Does anyone has an answer to this question? Also, I wonder, how come this game did not come in a big box in Europe, just in DVD case instead - pretty much 95% releases were big boxed in 2001, no?

If anyone else is from Europe, do you remember a time when Oni was released originally? There seems to be a small quantity of second hand copies available in comparison to America, especially on PC.

#2 04/25/17 20:04

Iritscen

Re: ONI developed by... Rockstar?

Yes, this has perplexed me too.  I don't know how Rockstar's name got on any PC boxes/cases.  My inclination is to say that it's a mistake smile  It's also possible that the parent company Take Two's inner workings were more complicated than we realize, and somehow the PC release was assigned to Rockstar as a publishing label even though they didn't develop that version.  The American version says God Games instead of Rockstar, which is the company I thought was supposed to be the publisher.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 04/26/17 06:04

SavagE

Yeah it does say GOD, cause that company had a publishing deal with T2 - Rune was released in a similar joint venture if memory serves. American PS2 version does have bungie and R* logos on the back, which makes it all strange.

On unrelated note: can someone explain to me, how a computer game does not have controls menu? How the manual does not mention you can change em; you have to edit a cfg file? Also, I was staggered when I realized this game has no controller support. Wow, even the shittiest PS2 ports from that era had it better.

Lastly, when I finished Anniversary edition the ending cinematic and credits did not play for me (black screen), and after I pressed a button it went to windows. Is that a known bug?

#4 04/26/17 08:04

Iritscen

The control configuration screen in Oni is a glaring absence.  There was a setting screen that Bungie seemed to have hastily added to the classic Mac OS version, but it never even showed up in OS X: http://wiki.oni2.net/File:Classic_Oni_s … ptions.jpg .  I'm curious, though, what do you mean by "no controller support"?

The outro movie should play in the AE, assuming you have it checked to be installed in the AE Installer's preferences.  After outro is done playing (or is canceled by a click or keystroke), Oni quits to the desktop, so that part's normal, but the movie should be playing for you.  What version of Windows are you using, and what resolution are you playing in?

#5 04/26/17 18:04

SavagE

Windows 7, 1080p. ANd yeah, I guess I did not install outro specifically, tho I could hear the sound when it 'played'. I re-watched it on youtube wink

By controller support I mean joypad support.

#6 04/26/17 19:04

Iritscen

Hmm, if you could hear it playing, then there was an issue, because it's either installed or it's not.  I'm pretty sure it installs by default, so unless you changed the setting, outro.bik should be present in the AE GameDataFolder.  I haven't heard of this happening before, so all I can think of is to consider whether you have something installed that could interfere with video playback.

In terms of controller support, Oni was designed by Bungie West to be played with keyboard and mouse, and the idea of a console port only came along later, so kb+mouse was considered the optimal way to play the game.  That being said, it's probably possible to map the keys to a console controller better than Rockstar did in their port.

#7 04/27/17 05:04

Alloc
Website

Actually the outro only showing black was a pretty common issue on Windows. I *thought* I remembered this being fixed by the Daodan though, maybe it was not ...

ONI2.net, link to just any important resource-pages about ONI.

#8 04/27/17 08:04

Iritscen

Oh, for some reason I can't remember hearing about that problem.  One other thing that you can try, SavagE, is running in windowed mode and seeing if the outro plays then.  You can load the last level and then type "winlevel" at the pause screen to instantly advance to the outro.

Board footer