Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 06/02/13 23:06

MarlonArt

Remember to Sleep in the Asylum

A while back, in this section of the forum someone mentioned the game 'Remember me' so I looked it up and was instantly intrigued. I've been wanting to play this game ever since I heard about it last year, regularly checking the twitter feed and facebook pages for news. I did a few extra design jobs and saved up money to pre-ordered it. Fast forward to now, about a day before it's release, and I find myself not as excited to click the "PRE-LOAD" button as I thought I would. This is because I went ahead and read the game's less than favorable reviews. The highest score being 7/10 with 5/10 the lowest. Last time I pre-ordered a game and it stunk was 'Enter the Matrix'. Although the combat itself was very solid, the rest of the game wasn't nearly as good.

I'm hoping for the same result I've experienced with a few games I've gotten: That I like the game despite it getting generally lukewarm reviews...one of those games being Oni, which has seen permanent residence on my hard drive. Even more so with this community's relentless efforts in modding the game (lookin' at you Samer, Iritscen). This game also has to stack up to the likes of the Batman: Arkham games and Sleeping Dogs. My quick take on them:

Batman: Arkham Asylum> Great game. The fighting felt really solid and varied despite being single button. It captured the chaotic nature of the movie fights with multiple bad guys flawlessly. This high wore off somewhat when I realized, as someone in this forum pointed out, that most enemy attacks were turn based and that the game left little to the player in terms of martial arts strategy. It was more like, what enemy to point to next and hit the attack or counter button. Still a great game though. 

Sleeping Dogs> Batman:AA meets GTA. Definitely a good thing. Combat feels more solid and strategy oriented than Batman despite being based on a nearly identical combat system. Because it's an open world game, combat feels much more varied as well. Very, very good game with a ton of good DLC to go with it.   

Anyone else here anticipating Remember Me?

#2 06/03/13 04:06

TOCS

Re: Remember to Sleep in the Asylum

After watching TB's first impression of it, it doesn't really excite me. Seems really limited and shallow. Also the voice acting is really weird at times.

#3 06/03/13 07:06

Iritscen

I really like what I've seen of the style of Remember Me, but I had a bad feeling about other aspects of it from the beginning.  (Warning: I've only seen a few minutes of gameplay and read one preview, so I might not know what I'm talking about.)  I was bothered by the completely unnecessary combo system which didn't seem like it would add anything to the enjoyment of the game (did they actually expect you to pause the game in the middle of a fight to tweak combos?  How many action gamers are going to love that?).

I was concerned about the seeming arena-like nature of the combat (reminded me of X-Blades a lot, actually) with overly-engineered fighting (leaping from foe to foe automatically à la Arkham, from the looks of it).  And the memory-remixing gameplay was awesome to watch, but it also seemed to me like a dumbed-down point-and-click adventure where you use trial and error to find the right thing to do, which, if I'm right, won't be nearly as rewarding as it looks in the demos.

But I still loved the look of it, and I always like to see female-fronted games come out.  I was curious about the story but had a feeling it would be about as simple as Oni's ("She's gone rogue!  Take her in or take her down!").  Likely the game won't sell well and publishers will remain convinced that games with female protagonists are a bad business venture when really it has everything to do with the game design having lost sight of the fun factor.

Was this going to come out for PC?  Because in time, I can see modders doing some interesting things with it and maybe bringing out its good aspects a bit more.  I was impressed by the parkour-like movements that the main character was capable of, and I think the basic game system can probably be quite fun if the modders are smart enough to tear out all the unnecessary stuff like that blasted combo system.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#4 06/03/13 21:06

tens

I for am not waiting for this game. I am waiting for Cyberpunk 2077, Darksouls 2, Metro Last light(out now),Thief, Beyond Good and Evil, Watch Dogs. All of these are triple a titles but they are worth twice their value maybe thrice. I am going to be able to play it in another few hours.

Last edited by tens (06/06/13 02:06)

What does it matter? Even if the odds are against me, I'll do it, it doesn't matter.

#5 06/06/13 19:06

tens

This game is probably like one of those games which don't come around often. I give my vote of confidence that you will enjoy it, if you don't mind a bit of view quirks. It was a really good game. The Combos are actually quite useful and the customizability of them help a lot during combat. There are some tiny bugs here and there but i think who ever plays it will enjoy it!

What does it matter? Even if the odds are against me, I'll do it, it doesn't matter.

#6 06/13/13 12:06

Iritscen

It looks like Remember Me has settled into a metascore of 70, comparable to Oni's 73.  Like Oni, it's probably something that a number of people will really enjoy because they're looking for something specific that mainstream games don't deliver.  I really like what I've seen of the art style, and I'd like to try it at some point, but I can't see myself buying it.  Besides my concerns above, reviews have also mentioned that's it's a game that holds your hand (in the manner of lots of modern games; I distinctly remember Deus Ex: HR popping up with a new objective marker at the end of the hallway I was already in...).

#7 06/16/13 00:06

MarlonArt

Remember Me first impressions:

Not bad. The visuals are stunning, no question here. I've spend a good amount of time already just glazing over the environment alone and the game itself has a very unique visual identity. Unfortunately that's where most of the time seems to have been spent in the making of this game. Another high note is the music, which is of really high quality. Another detail that the developers spent a good deal of time perfecting.

The fighting, which is what I really came for, is good, but nothing spectacular so far. The inspiration for the combat system is obviously from the Batman: Arkham games, which is not a bad thing.  The only thing I don't really like about it is the "hit-stop" effect whenever a strike connects. The best example I can think of is from Zelda: Twilight Princess whenever Link lands a hit with his sword. I guess I'll have to get used to it. Either way still not bad.

Last edited by MarlonArt (06/16/13 00:06)

#8 06/16/13 06:06

ltemplar

Well.....

I played this game (finished it) on the hardest difficulty (Memory hunter) and from my point of view the statement that h2h combat  is inspired on this from batman Arkham games (also played and finished on the the hardest difficulty)is pretty unfair.

1)Batman Arkham games system is more about counter thing and which special ability or gadget use next when special combo mater reach it's required level. There are thous abnormal teleportation from one point of map to another when the batman/catwoman/robin/etc(player in general) do theirs attacks. There is this "super" counter attack button that take out most of enemies in instant(By the way I'm curious how this system will be played with thous now enemies that will be able to counter batman in this next game).

2)The Remember Me is complete opposite to showed above one. First there is no overused abnormal jump to target attacks( she do them too yes, but from proper distance not from the one corner map to another). There is no counter attack button and her only defense is an evasive maneuver thats seams more "natural" for the female char. The combo lab is quite interesting and easy to use (and it have so many options). The combos require some skills and proper timing/order to use rather than one button mashing. The only thing that I don't like in this system is specials usage and selection of thous specials. The sooting skill could be better too , and not used only by specifically selected number of enemies. And now we come to the weakest point of this game the enemies. While classes that they choose for them are not so bad and we can somehow understand it(future police, robots ,some mutants and bosses), but the number of attacks that one class can do is complete misunderstanding. The only one attack for one class is not only looking bad(repetitive) but also take away this so interestingly created combo system, and brings the game to the understanding "who do what there" thing , which kills any surprises in brawl. The boss encounters are a lite bit better done and can sometimes "surprise" the player but nothing coming off the standard known from other games (somehow I was hoping for better selection of bosses than this, but is not as bad as the "normal enemies").
If they only create thous "normal" enemies more unpredictable, with bigger variety of moves(maybe even with theirs own combos) and better equipment(some guns for thous guardians) then this game will not only look better but also "lost" this "arkham"  syndrome that most players are try to attach to it.

Ltemplar.

Last edited by ltemplar (06/16/13 07:06)

#9 06/16/13 07:06

Iritscen

The only one attack for one class is not only looking bad(repetitive) but also take away this so interestingly created combo system

Yes, I got a bad feeling when I saw a demo and the developer was explaining that there's an aerial enemy type that just floats and shoots at you.

And personally, I just resent the existence of combo customization because I think it's anti-fun.  Combos are meant to be discovered naturally; I'm too old to be willing to spend much time playing with something technical like that in the middle of an action game.

#10 06/16/13 09:06

ltemplar

About the combo customization and the game itself:

It's done quite intuitive, and you aren't forced to customize it during the battle . You can customize them before the encounter begins to keep it's fluidness. It's hard to explain but this part is really well done. Where this game surfers are the casual enemies and theirs attacks selection(or rather it's absence). And that's really sad , because they have so much potential . The classes are fit there perfectly , (muties in the servers) police(or should I say sensen corp. security force) on the rooftops and city levels , sometimes enforced with robots(only 2 types and the third as the boss that you can fight which). But even then it seams fit "in natural way" there. The problem is this only one attack per class thing. So there is no variety in this fight. It's a shame because this game have really good potential to be something unique , but this "detail" completely ruined that chance in my eyes.Nerveless this doesn't mean that this game is bad.It's plays quite smooth .Has really good environmental graphics(the far scape is the one from the best I have seen thous years), good music , nice looking protagonist, and quite interesting storyline(or rather potential for a good one).
Somehow I must say I lake it(it have this something that keep you till the end)..but can I recommend it to anyone?It's hard to say.This is another unpolished gem(like oni) that had potential to be great but is only good.

Ltemplar.

Last edited by ltemplar (06/16/13 09:06)

Board footer