Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 05/23/13 20:05

tens

Food in the Future?

So... How do you guys think food would be in the year 2032... big_smile. I think it would be the same... but meat would be a little plain due to being artificially produced.

What does it matter? Even if the odds are against me, I'll do it, it doesn't matter.

#2 05/24/13 08:05

Iritscen

Re: Food in the Future?

Dunno, but that's one good guess.  At least synthetic meat should avoid the methane problems we've caused with all those cattle farms.  I bet they can even make it taste like real meat with some added flavoring smile

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 05/24/13 10:05

tens

Yeah, but wouldn't meat and other stuff which was previously existing be a luxury? The best i could come up with was, Food Capsules which are just capsules which contain food in a compressed form with all the necessary nutrients and minerals for survival, it counts as if you ate a entire meal. The company? xD Probably the WCG ? Since they could use these little schemes for money or trust from the citizens.

What does it matter? Even if the odds are against me, I'll do it, it doesn't matter.

#4 05/24/13 12:05

Iritscen

Oh, well you're referring to living in Oni's world of 2032, then.  Since you put this in Anything but Oni, I assumed you were asking about what life might really be like at the time of Oni.  It's true that, in Oni, the Biocrisis and the move into domed cities would probably lead to synth-meat.

I'd love to have a meal in a capsule, the only problem is that it wouldn't provide enough physical material to maintain your body and for kids to grow, even if it was solid vitamins.  It would have to be like a full-sized meal compressed into a pill, which would then expand in your stomach afterward.  Hopefully slowly smile

#5 05/24/13 13:05

tens

neutral but actually i put this in the Creative minds section... well maybe i did put it by mistake in here sad. But yeah... the mass wouldn't be enough and meat would be something like goop... luxurious people could probably get something which is not the crappy version of it... and if it was like just out of Oni world.. i would imagine a world where Meat is grown underground. and The Vegetarian stuff is grown in Green houses in the top of Skyscrapers. Domes. Probably. but domes would be a bit far fetched.. underground cities would be likely the best choice in case of WW4 going off. Or else running outta Fuel and losing out to Global Warming and surviving through the Iceage would be the most obvious.

#6 05/24/13 13:05

Iritscen

but actually i put this in the Creative minds section

Oh, okay, I'll move this to General Discussion then, that's better for this kind of topic.

luxurious people could probably get something which is not the crappy version of it...

Sure, they'd get soylent green, made from the poor people wink  Well, Soylent Green took place in 2022, not 2032, but that's not so far off.

Edit: Oh, wait, they're already making it: http://www.buysoylentgreen.com/

#7 05/24/13 21:05

tens

Soylent Green? What is it? I haven't heard about it and my search provides info about a movie of Soylent Green.

#8 05/24/13 22:05

Iritscen

It's people!

#9 05/25/13 03:05

tens

Omg... wow.. that's freaky man... :\ :0

#10 05/25/13 07:05

Iritscen

It actually makes a lot of sense though, when you think about it.  In the future of Soylent Green, there's too many people and too few sources of food because we polluted the crap out of everything.  It would still be a very relevant message today.  They were going to remake the movie, that's why there's that product for sale.

#11 05/25/13 08:05

tens

You mean to say, they convert people into a type of food which is eaten by others in the future?

#12 05/25/13 08:05

Iritscen

Yep, that's the famous ending to the movie: "Soylent green is people!"  It's been ruined for the rest of us who haven't seen the movie.  When SG was made in the '70s, people were beginning to get more concerned about pollution and overpopulation, and the movie tied the two issues together neatly.

#13 05/25/13 18:05

tens

Yeah... if the people knew what they were eating.. i don't think they would continue eating. They would likely protest and bring down the government tongue, it's just wrong to produce Soylent Green! YOU CAN'T TURN PEOPLE INTO LIFESTOCK. ITS WRONG!!!!!!!! WRONG I SAY. Rather than that, artificial food seems a lot more doable, you know the 3d printer technology?? Later we may be able to use edible sources to print out food, and add seasoning after it's printed. Possible. likely? :\

#14 05/25/13 19:05

Iritscen

Yeah, I'd say that's quite possible.  It could even be customized for your own biology if we have personalized genetic profiling available for the masses by then.

#15 05/25/13 22:05

tens

So if by chance the world was to go into a doomsday and the people who survived have no land to grow crops or lifestock, but had developed a mass of liquid which is just edible 'stuff' they could use it as a fuel for the 3d printer ? But then the problem would arise where, and what will they find and make will they make it out of arises sad. It would probably be meat which they grind into a fine liquid before using as the 'ink' for the printer. Such as a animal ground into a fine liquid could be used to print out smaller fixed portions to the people.

#16 05/26/13 07:05

Iritscen

Well, meat isn't necessary in human diets.  So it's more likely that we would just rely on vegetables, fruits and grains grown through hydroponics and on top of buildings.

Board footer