Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 08/30/07 13:08

Ultimatum479

Recording stuff (Mac)

I've tried several methods of recording Oni, and most cause too much lag to be useful. Recently, however, I downloaded the Developer Mode -compatible port of Oni, and now I can record movies in-game.

The problem is that it creates these little "saved_film###.dat" files, and I have no idea how to play those. They're not movie files of any sort (which is why they don't lag up Oni at all while recording); they're just recordings of what buttons you pressed. That's fine, since I can just send them to people who have Oni and have them play the files on their own Oni apps...but how exactly _do_ we play the files in Oni? I know F11 replays it if you just recorded it, but that's not helpful after I've quit and re-opened Oni, apparently. Suggestions?

Work in progress...

#2 08/30/07 15:08

EdT
Website

Re: Recording stuff (Mac)

Personally I use iShowU to record the videos from Oni.  It seems to work well as long as I keep the video less than 5 minutes, otherwise iShowU crashes on me.
I have a Dual 1.25 GHz G4 tower with 1GB RAM running OSX 10.4.10

#3 08/30/07 17:08

Ultimatum479

Never heard of that, strangely. All my searching resulted only in Snapz Pro X, Screen Movie Recorder, and vnc2swf, each of which sucked for various reasons. I'll try that -- wait. D'oh. 10.4 only; I've got 10.3.9. No can use. Thanks anyway.

Work in progress...

#4 08/30/07 21:08

EdT
Website

At what screen resolution are you recording?  For Oni, I would set my monitor resolution and Oni's options to 640x480, this make the load lighter in recording the game.  I've used Snapz Pro X and it works, just I had the old version which didn't record sound.

What type of Mac are you using?

#5 08/31/07 05:08

geyser
Website

@U: The saved_film###.dat were used as intermediate storage for cutscene authoring. They won't be of any use to you.
First, they must be somewhat processed and added to the binary archives of one of Oni's levels to be "chr_playback"ed.
Second, as you've noted they only record information about the input for the character in focus, and about nothing else.
That means the "film" will only reproduce the player's movements, and that only if you didn't bump into anything random.
The only thing you could record is a speed run through some level or another, assuming no interaction with the AI.

BTW, start_record, stop_record and play_record work in any version. The Developer Mode merely auto-binds the keys.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#6 09/01/07 00:09

Ultimatum479

Oh, I thought the start/stop/play buttons didn't work with the Omnigroup port.

Anywho. I know it only reproduces the player's movements, but unless there's more randomness to the AI than I suspect, starting the playback at the immedate beginning of a level should produce the same results every time since the player's movements are exactly identical each time. Anywho, I'll look into adding it to the binary archives 'n' all this weekend. Thanks.

Work in progress...

#7 09/02/07 04:09

geyser
Website

The AI have more random elements than you suspect. A lot, actually. So it won't work.
You can try it with the basic start/stop/play, by resetting the AI and level mechanics.
Up to the first encounter, the movements will be reproduced accurately, but then...
Since the first encounter won't happen exactly the same way, everything will change.
The player's relative movements won't be adapted to the environment afterwards.
So you'll bump into walls and further deviate from what you expect. Chaos style.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#8 09/02/07 11:09

Ultimatum479

Tested. Yeah. Meh. Was worth a try.

Bah. Guess I'll resign myself to choppy movies for now. ^_^

Work in progress...

Board footer