Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 06/07/10 01:06

Paff
Website

What would everyone like to see changed in Oni?

This is intended as a sort of brainstorming thread - everyone posts ideas here, and then the AE team has a place with lots of ideas to look through as they continue to work on it.

This is also partly meant in the context of Flatline/multiplayer; for the "standard build" that most people will be using online, what would you like to see different?

(Also, sorry for completely disappearing from the previous thread; work got very busy last week.)

As with the other threads, I'll be compiling a summary of everything mentioned here in the "Debates And Stuff thread ( http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … hp?id=1605 ).

Disappointment thread: http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … hp?id=1622
Likes thread: http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … hp?id=1625

So, I guess I'll kick it off with my list:

- remove/nerf all game-breaking moves
- remove all infinite combos
- remove/reduce invincibility on normal standup from knockdown
- remove auto-aim
- make movement and fighting mechanics more complex (with things like various cancels, fastfalling, throw escapes, wavedashing etc)
- make the transitions between different types of movement/stances faster/more fluid
- change the phase stream projector into something actually fun tongue
- reduce the stun on the VDG pistol so that your best followup varies based on distance and the direction your opponent is facing
- replace the mercury bow's knockdown with a brief stagger
- remove the SBG's juggling somehow
- buff overpower mode somehow (maybe instantaneous startup, or a granting a dash speed increase, or making it last longer?)

Last edited by Paff (06/07/10 01:06)

#2 06/07/10 01:06

Gumby

Re: What would everyone like to see changed in Oni?

Mercury bow has already been altered. Test the Improved weapons package please. smile Didn't alter the SBG because there wasn't a general consensus about how to fix it.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#3 06/07/10 01:06

Paff
Website

I saw the MB change listed, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Will do so soon. smile

Last edited by Paff (06/07/10 01:06)

#4 06/07/10 05:06

Iritscen

Now Paff, have you had a chance to test the Andrashi TRAMs?  Because Loser was working on fixing those top three points of yours.  He also cut down on some transition times.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#5 06/07/10 05:06

TOCS

A total converstion with everything in high-definition. Extra content that dosen't change the story, is welcome.

#6 06/07/10 11:06

TheCreature

I'd kinda like to be able to carry multiple weapons, like we can do with Dev. mode.  Or at least change some of the disarm animations so it doesn't look as bad when I drop the disarmed weapon.

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#7 06/07/10 18:06

Lithium

the music
only plays for a while, then goes off

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#8 06/07/10 19:06

Mukade

I've already told Gumby, but Iritscen I don't think you know yet, but I have volunteered my time to help with the next AE, in the way of animation and level altering at least, and other things I can hopefully learn. Which makes this thread of interest to me  big_smile cool

@Animation smooth transitions - Might be possible to knock a few frames off the end of certain animations? That might work, it wouldn't look good to simply cut them out, I, or someone else, would have to take each seperate animation, cut a few frames out, and redo the keyframes of the animation so theres no gap in the move.

@Music, oxe I'm sure you can write a script that you can select which music to play, I know Leus' Oni Zen Garden had something like that. Prolly put those lines of code into the Global script file and, yeah... I think I may do it in the future, doesn't seem very hard to do wink
Now if you want continous music, that's a different story... one of the more experienced scripters might know.. if it would be possible to make a shuffling song playlist? I sort of know how, but I wouldn't know how to make it random

@Multiple Weapons - Maybe possible, I know it's possible to hold two weapons, I don't know if it's a bug, but then you can't holster weapon, you just pull the other one out... maybe something to look at, be able to hold one "one handed" and one "rifle" type weapon

@Textures - As you can see with level 1 HD textures, that's underway, but not many people here know how to texture, and it's very time consuming if I understand... That will just have to be a gradual process...

@SBG - I can think of a way to change it, not quite fix it, but I can give that a try over early summer and release it seperately to see what people think?

@Phase Stream - I've had some ideas, if you have any more, feel free to message me

@Remove Auto Aim - Perhaps make it an option? Or maybe just make it happen on "easy" difficulty.

@VDG - some opponents like muro already have reduced stun time, would probably be possible to apply this to other opponents as well, is this what you're talking about?

@More complex fighting - Don't we all wish... it's been a matter of discussion, and as you can see one of our members (can't rmember who, sry..) made a rough throw counter, which is a start, but I cna't answer this, other than I can give ideas and suggestions, but otherwise, out of my league smile

My own suggestion, is the AI bullet dodging, I know you guys will just tell me to turn off the mod, but I also don't want them running in a straight line at me... Would it be possible to make them simply come at you in "evasive maneuvers" and not conciously dodging bullets? Cause then it's nearly impossible to hit them with some weapons, and not effective at all, which really takes away from the gunplay part of oni I find, and discourages the use of certain weapons... Along with the removal of auto-aim, this could be much more balanced...

Ideally, I would suggest that the AI take cover and fire at you... but the AI aren't that smart, and I don't think we are either :-/

Also, would it be possible to add, maybe, a "breathing" mechanic to the game? Make gunplay a bit more skill oriented, and a little harder to master, not being able to simply point and click.. i dunno, what you guys think? I think a combo of a few gun mechanic modifications would make things interesting

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#9 06/07/10 19:06

Iritscen

Mukade wrote:

I've already told Gumby, but Iritscen I don't think you know yet, but I have volunteered my time to help with the next AE, in the way of animation and level altering at least, and other things I can hopefully learn.

Okay, cool.  Too busy right now to even respond to the rest of your post right now, but we'll talk in the near future about what you'd like to do.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#10 06/07/10 20:06

wmjdgla

Camera shake when the enemy deals you a hard/combo blow.

Use number keys to swap among move-sets, just like swapping weapons in FPSes, i.e. Konoko can bind her move-set to '1', striker's move-set to '2', etc. Adds more dynamism and can result in new, fun combos.

#11 06/07/10 20:06

Paff
Website

@Andrashi: I'm aware of it, but haven't gotten a chance to try it yet. I figured it would be worth repeating those points above anyway, though, just so people know they have support in this endeavor, and because I think it'd be good to have those changes in on the "standard" multiplayer build.

@Animation smooth transitions: In Smash at least, there are a ton of instantaneous animation transitions, but you can't tell because unless you slow the game down they somehow just look like they're really fast. I don't know if something like that could be done here.

@Music: Is there any way to make the music optional? If so, you could turn it off in-game and then play it with shuffle in a media player.

@Multiple weapons: I'd considered this before, but figured it probably wasn't possible to do. If it can be managed, it might be really cool.

@SBG: Also, it occurs to me that juggling may be very tough to fix in multiplayer in group fights. (Even with a cooldown increase or whatever, multiple people can fire in sequence to get a rapid-enough rate of fire to juggle.)

@Phase Stream: Mukade, are your ideas listed anywhere?

@VDG: Huh, I haven't tried it on Muro. I don't know how the stun works - I'd assumed that the gun had a setting for how long it stuns people, rather than people having a setting for how long they get stunned. In any case, I was thinking of having it so that, regardless of who you shoot, they get stunned for a short-enough period of time that you can only get a backbreaker off if you're right up close to them; if you're further away, you'd have to figure out what your most powerful followup would be and execute it on the fly.

@Breathing: I haven't played a shooter with breathing before, but I'd be all for making the gunfighting more complex. Recently I've heard about a shooter called "Gunz: The Duel" where apparently you perform all sorts of acrobatic movement and dodge moves that restrict your aim in different ways, so it's more like a fighting game in shooter form. I imagine it'd be tough to implement a comprehensive gunfighting-move system in Oni, but it'd probably be really cool.

Last edited by Paff (06/07/10 20:06)

#12 06/07/10 22:06

Mukade

@I've played Gunz, it's actually pretty cool game... and it wouldn't be terribly hard I imagine to make "breathing" just randomly offset the target a few degrees up and down

@VDG, yeah, havent you noticed the difference in stun time between, say, an Elite and a Striker? Striker stun is longer and Elite is significatly short

@Phase Stream, I don't think so, maybe a few ideas in one of the discussion threads... but stuff like make it "seeker" to a degree, so it can hit people easier, and I was thinking an interesting use might be to suspend and stun an enemy kinda like Mutant Muro gun does, but without drawing them toward you... just off the top of my head smile

@Music, yeah, easy enough, if it were a script, it would be a simple matter of typing simple commands into the dev mode command

@Irit, I understand, looking forward to it  cool

Last edited by Mukade (06/07/10 22:06)

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#13 06/09/10 14:06

Gumby

If you want acrobatic gunplay, try S4 League. It's...different. smile And free.

#14 06/09/10 20:06

Paff
Website

For the PSP, I think your mod to the VDG fits reasonably well with the concept of the PSP (knocks down easily but doesn't do much damage) and is really fun, so I'd consider either it or something like it for the PSP.

Huh. Yeah, it looks like S4 League is pretty similar in nature to Gunz.

#15 06/25/10 20:06

Gumby

From Flatline testing:
Fury's infinite stomp combo isn't really infinite (at least versus Konoko)...but ninjas are still cheap bastards with their infinite combo.

Board footer